Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Apr 1995 17:02:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti>
Subject:      Re: Smell from heater (fwd)

If the heater smell like waffles, you have a leaky heater core. I was told that they cannot be repaired, and a new one is expensive, especially if the flow valve and the core are bad (about $175 from VW for rear).

It's easy to pull and examine the rear (I have not done the front).If you see a lot of junk in the fins, I think it's time for a new one. I had mine pressure tested at a local radiator shop,for $5 and it showed a leak where the plactic meets the metal. I pulled one from a junkyard that looked clean, but it also leaked. I guess I'll bite the big one and get a new one from VW.

You could luck out if the leak is coming at the joint between valve and the core: a new gaslet is only a couple of bucks. Right now I have put a clamp on both hoses to stop all coolant flow to the rear heater for the summer. Assuming I still have the bus when the cold arrives, I will replace it then.

Corroded heater core might indicate other corroded parts in the cooling system. Have the system flushed and replaced with VW coolant as soon as you can. If you are smelling coolant, you are losing coolant. Fix it. Watch your temp guage. Don't overheat the beast.

As far as parts for an 880 mile trip. I would say have anything that is wrong fixed first, if you can. I don't see the point in hauling around an auto parts store everywhere you go.

Peter Krogh 85Westy