Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Apr 1995 21:55:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti>
Subject:      Cleaning Brake Resiviors, pounding out belly pans, tour dates (fwd)

Dave Schwarze, June 19th... gee, I may not be around Friday and Saturday morning, but by Monday the 19th I'll be here! Where do I meet up with the tour?

Jack Agnew, My $0.02 on sliding door lube: I use Phil Wood waterproof bicycle grease for that kind of thing- sticky, waterproof, but those doors were noisy when new and aren't getting any quieter.

Single Cab saga continues: Kevin and I cleaned up the brake reserviors and pipes for the pickup truck yesterday, using Berryman's enviromentally corect non-CFC/non-carcinogenic spray stuff. $2.99 a can, for 15 oz, versus $2.49 a can for GUNK's CFC/carcinogen mix, which comes in 25oz cans (but seems to be denser- not that much more volume...)

Both the original over-master-cylinder reservior and the one Ian and I got at the junk yard were full of fine black stuff that had settled out on the inside. The one off my truck had road tar/undercoating or something like that on the outside too. Kevin cleaned the outside with our favorite orange hand cleaner and a toothbrush, then custom bent the little red tube that directs the brake cleaner so that we could blast off the stuff on the inside of the reserviors.

That was good, but physical scrubbing seemed like a better bet, so we used pipecleaners to good effect, and then Kevin made a better pipecleaner using some vinyl coated wire and bits of cloth as at the end. The trick is to bend the wire as it feeds in and then stroke and rotate the wire or pipecleaner so that it scrubs all surfaces inside the reservior. Then rinse completely, of course.

VW still stocks the rubber sleive that seals the connection between the filler bottle and the tube that connects the filler to the reservior. I need to check if they also stock the slightly different slieve at the other end- right now I've got the old ones, carefully cleaned, still in place.

I stopped at D&J Hobbies at lunch and picked up some very long pipe-cleaners for future cleaning old brake reserviors and that sort of thing- $1 for 15 either wierd synthetic fibers or cotton terry cloth fibers! The fibers are graded by width- the terry cloth are 8mm, the synthetic are 6 or 3mm, all 12 inches (300mm) long. I've seen even bigger pipe cleaners and will be checking the craft stores.

I should have taken before and after pictures!

The bad news is that the master cylinder I got for a good price, $59, made in India, had only one pressure switch hole tapped in it- the boss for the other was in the casting, but not drilled or tapped. So I've going to take it back and pay the big bucks for the correct master cylinder, I guess. Grrr. Of course, '70 has a one-year-only master cylinder, so I guess I should have seen this coming. Is the second pressure switch really worth $80 or $90? Well, I guess it is. Grr.

Kevin also showed me how to pound out the dents in the belly pan using a handy rock as a dolly- its quite satisfying! The result is not smooth, but its better looking than when I started and will obviously clear anything it needs to clear inside...

Best of all, I got to drive for 75 feet while Kevin and my neighbor Bill pushed me over to Bill's house where he's going to do the battery compartment welding this coming week. There's nothing like driving a Bus! :-)