Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Apr 1995 07:25:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti>
Subject:      re: GNATT update (fwd)

some local comments based upon a portion of your itinerary.

>Friday, June 09 > Drive through to Patricia Bay (Alistair's place!). Take the ferry > to Victoria? Stay the night in Alistair's orchard (Thanks Al!!). > >Saturday, June 10 > Take the ferry from Whidbey Island to Port Townsend. > Stop by Poulsbo for a look-see (Norwegian town). > Visit USS Missouri (where the Japanese surrendered in 1945). > Head back up route 3 to 104 West to 101 West. Stop at Sequim > to see the Dungeoness National Wildlife Refuge. > Camping options include KOA at Port Angeles - $22/night - hot tub! > Also tons of cheap/free campgrounds in the local mountains. > >Sunday, June 11 > Stay in the Olympic penninsula area. Lots to see here, including > the Hoh rain forest, Solduc hot springs, Hurricane penninsula. > Drive out to La Push, where there are supposed to be great beaches > and a rain forest. > >Monday, June 12 > Down 101 into Oregon. Stay at one of the State parks on the coast, > such as Honeyman or Sand Dunes. Supposedly there is a "Dunes hike > every Monday at 10AM in the Oregon Dunes Nat'l Rec Area. I don't > anticipate a problem finding a place to stay - I called the Oregon > Parks and Rec. dept. *and* Honeyman state park and they both said > I wouldn't need a reservation, and to save my $6 (costs extra to > reserve). Fees for Honeyman are $18/night with hookups, $16 without. > They said they are right next to some huge sand dunes.

Poulsbo is an overly-quaint touristy kind of town. You'd be better off staying in Port Townsend cruising the town and going up to Fort Worden (make sure you go up to the battlements on the cliff above the parking lot!) Or perhaps going down the road a little ways and camping out at Fort Flagler (it's on a smaller island East of Pt Townsend but I don't recall the name at the moment.)

Also, I think that the USS Missouri is closed to the public, and has been since 1992 when she was taken off tourist duty and added to the mothballed fleet. (There was just a story in the paper last week about moving the 'Mo somewhere else which is why I think this so.)

Also, the 'Mo is in Bremerton which is a couple of hours south of Pt Townsend. And Sequim is at least 30 mins West of Pt Townsend so you're taking one hell of a side trip to see an old battleship. And you'll have to drive through Silverdale which is beginning to look like a giant parking lot these days.

More advice: drive on ferry from Victoria to Anacortes goes through San Juan Islands. Be prepared for lengthy waits although school may not be out yet so it may not be too bad. Just be prepared. Alternative would be to take the Black Ball Transport ferry from Victoria to Pt Angeles. You can still head over to Pt Townsend and Ft Flagler. Or camp at 'Heart of the Hills' at the foot of the road leading up to Hurricane Ridge. Or drive west to Sequim - I think there is camping there as well.

Solduc hot springs is a private resort. There is another hot springs thats on park land -you have to walk about a mile though on an old paved road. clothing optional. (at the springs that is.)

La Push has some places where you can park a van for camping. It's a funky old indian town - get your groceries and water in Forks before you head out there. And do take the hike down the 2nd beach - it's the best. Alternate camping is at Rialto Beach which is north of the river there, you have to turn right at the 3 Rivers Resort on your way out.

I'd go all the way out to the tip of the country - Cape Alava - there is a cool Makah museum there too. Plus you can say you've been there.

The Hoh is definitely worth a trip. Don't be afraid to get off the paved nature trail and hike in a few miles. It's very flat and easy going. You may get to see a herd of Roosevelt elk. Of course they feed out near the parking lot at dusk so you may get to see them anyway but its just not the same you know?

I think it will take a very long day to get from the Hoh down to Honeyman. I've always given up before making it that far - but then I always start late! There is a good campground at a place called Beverly Beach - another one North of that one if you don't make it - up near Seaside I think.

Crater Lake is cool. And they've just restored the old lodge there which might be interesting. I don't know what camping is like there though.

well, that's enough on your itinerary I guess. Hope this helps.

-rick

Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA, USA ------------------------------------- finger for PGP public key fingerprint -------------------------------------