Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         18 Apr 1995 12:52:12 GMT
From:         "THOMAS CARRINGTON" <BBTSQP8@BAPLAZA.BELL-ATL.COM>
Subject:      Re: The Berg and springs

>I am planning on buying a stock motor with a new case and installing >009, extractor w/single QP and dual Kadrons. Now, Berg is telling me >that dual carbs means dual springs. He quotes some stats about valve >train failure and such. He also warns that most builders do not >correctly install and shim dual springs, which can cause a whole other >set of problems. My question is this: do I order my engine with >dual springs or go without? He doesn't say how often others screw >this up. It would seem from his writing that stock single springs >would give me more trouble than risking having someone screw up >installing dual springs. Opinions? Oh, this would be a stock >1600DP going into a '71 bus. Thanks, Jim >-- >James A. Brill Jr. \\ // >jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu \\ \\// // If you're not outraged >University of Nebraska \\//\\// you're not paying attention. >free-lance homo sapien \/ \/

IMHO, Dual carbs have little to do with dual valve springs. My 65 Notchback came from the factory with dual Solexes and single valve springs. The issue that Mr. Berg is worried about is the ability to over-rev and "float" single springs when you install dual carbs. "Floating" refers to a condition in which a engine is turning such high RPM that the spring tension provided by a single spring is unable to completely close and seat the valves in the head. Keep the revs reasonable (under 5000 rpm) and you should never experience "floating".

I did once float the valves on my 66 Bug with single springs. I had a 2-bbl carb, headers and 009 Dist. It was during the slalom race at one of the Bug-Outs in Manassas. I was revving at over 6500 rpm when it happened. The engine more or less acted like it was shut down, then suddenly came back to life at about 3000 rpm. No damage was done.

Tom Carrington BBTSQP8@Bell-atl.com 88 Vanagon 65 Notchback