Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Apr 1995 18:49:22 -0700
From:         eugp@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Eugene C. Palmer)
Subject:      List of stuff for sale in Vallejo

I have a set of Bergs HD single springs. I even have a set of double springs. Both used, with HD retainers & keepers. The singles would still be running except that I think I failed to clean the guide well after I lapped the valves by hand so there was some grinding compound left in the guide. The guide was toast after a couple thousand miles, but the springs should all still be good.

I paid like $75 for the single manifolds, I've been trying to get 66% of cost for my used stuff.

Quality Rebuilt VW 1600cc air-cooled, type 1 or 2 long-block for sale $1000.00

Good used AS21 universal case, standard main bearing outside diameter with full flow oil fitting, Mains torque to 28 ft. lbs. 8 mm studs torqued to 23 ft. lbs., locktighted. Good used magna fluxed and polished 69mm counter-weighted crank with new .010" undersize main and new standard size rod bearings, 8 doweled, new cam timing gear, used distributor brass gear, shimmed distributor drive gear set for type 1. Rebuilt rods, nuts locktighted, checked for direction. Good used cam & lifters, new double-thrust copper faced bearings, backlash set (+1 gear), lifters inspected and cut for better oiling, heavy duty steel pushrods, solid rocker shaft, stock rocker arm. Good used 26mm oil pump, your choice of full-flow cover or stock, installed when purchased. Good used lightweight (12.5 lb) flywheel, 12V, 200mm, heavy duty gland nut & washer, end play set, (.003") new silicone seal. Weighted degree pulley included. (No rear apron as it needs to fit your application) New stock size Pistons & Cylinders, rings offset, snap-ring pin keepers, direction double-checked. New factory dual port heads with domed cut, compression ~ 6.9:1 (advance timing ~ +4 degrees), stock springs & keepers, do not over-rev this engine. Not tapped for type 3 FI. All surfaces sealed, all nuts torqued and double-checked with click-stop wrench (except gland nut), thoroughly locktighted, pre-oiled. Most receipts included. Assembly photos. Price is firm (over $1300 invested), serious inquiries only please. No guarantee (you must have all VW stock cooling, fuel system, distributor & proper timing, pre-oiling and break-in oil and procedure, driving habits, etc. I cannot verify these)

My costs for this engine; Actual New: $519.54 P/C kit, heads, cam gear, bearings, gasket set, oil seal, etc. $65.00 Magnaflux & Polish crank, R&R gears $25.00 Rods $20.00 Heavy duty gland nut & washer $0 End play shims Used: $66.00 Counterweighted crank $100 x 66% $50.00 Cam, lifters, $75 x 66%- $27.50 Steel pushrods $40 x 66% $15.00 Solid rocker shaft $25.00 x 66%- $198.00 AS21 case $295 x 66% $72.50 Lightweight Flywheel $110 x 66% $50.00 Degree Pulley $75.00 x 66%- $50.00 Deep Oil Sump $75.00 x 66%- $0 26mm Oil Pump $0 Adhesives & sealants $0 Extras

$1158.54+ ~Total Parts (less than actual total) $150.00+ Assembly Time $1308.54+ ~Total Value $300.00+ Sacrifice $1000.00

Used long-block with broken rings? (Burns oil badly) $250.00 AS41 Case has been overheated (300+ deg.) several times, is line-bored .020 oversize mains, cylinder holes are bored for 90.5/92 P&C sets, oil galleries opened, (RIMCO case) full flow fittings, 10 mm studs. 69 mm Berg welded CW crank and lightweight flywheel (12v, 200mm) have excessive run-out and are 8 dowelled 3/8" because of previous mistake with the flywheel coming loose. Use at your own risk. Crank is at least .010" under on both rods & mains. Has HD gland nut & washer. Clutch & PP OK, but chatter some because of the run-out. Heads are factory dual port, new less than 2000 miles ago, bored for 90.5/92 cylinders. Stock cam & lifters were good. Stock rockers. Deep sump included. 30mm Melling oil pump blows most filters to pieces. Even if you fix it, it should never be driven hard. Not for a Bus unless very gently driven. Basically the story is this was my main engine and I drove it very hard in a '71 squareback, then a '63 bus (melted heat exchangers! because of a restrictive fuel pressure regulator) until I broke a 40mm exhaust valve on an SE head with dual springs. I put new P/C's and heads on it only to forget to tighten the gland nut because I had loosened it to open up the short block, but didn't and..... drove 25 miles, banged out the dowel holes, got sick of myself, let it sit around for two years in storage, revived it by drilling out the holes and fitting 3/8's dowels, drove it for about a thousand miles (ran pretty well) until a bad oil burning problem developed. Must've rusted the cylinders in storage and broken a ring (theory). Pulled engine, gave up, FOR SALE! Price is right for the heads alone.

Other stuff for sale;

Set of Berg steel pushrods, stock length Box of distributors Box of oil pumps Box fuel pumps Box of camshafts (one dual lift screamer) Box of lifters early 40 hp fanhouse Box of type III fuel injection stuff (manifolds, throttle body, injectors etc.) Those carbs I mentioned Box of pressure plates & clutches, couple of flywheels too I think. Some oil filter adapters More stuff sitting in storage I can't even remember but will bring.

wOW

Eugene