Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon,  3 Apr 1995 14:28:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:         James N Gagliardi <jg6r+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject:      Re: Big Battery = Destroy Starter

Excerpts from audi: 3-Apr-95 Re: Big Battery = Destroy S.. by David Schwarze@superc.no > > > > This raises the question of how to wire our auxiliary batteries. If you wire > > > two 12 volt batteries together, or allow them to connect together during > > starting only as I have done, then it would seem you risk frying your starte > r. > > Hummm... Hmm... I have been told that on some cars, that because the voltage drops to 6 or 8 volts when the starter is cranking, the computer/ignition/whatever has to be able to operate at that level, so they put a voltage regulator in front of the F.I. computers so that the computers is always running of 8 volts. By designing the computer to run at the lowest possbile voltage, they make it easier to design the starting circuitry. This could explain why many cars will run even with completely dead battery, even without a working alternator for a surprisingly long time once they are started(push started/jumped whatever) as long as you don't turn on the lights.(how much juice can the fuel pump and ingnition use).

On another note, I rented a large International Diesel U-Haul Truck once and it was plastered with giant stickers which never ever jump start anything with this truck. This seems to corroborate with what Derek got out of the Bosch manual. Assuming the resistance of a starter is constant, the power used by the starter is proportional to the square of the voltage across it. If the resistance of the starter is .1 ohms, voltage is 8 volts(current is 80 amps), the power is 640 watts. If the starter was hitched to a giant battery(or two batteries) which could maintain ~14(current is now 140 amps) volts regardless of the load, the power would be 1960 watts... about three times the juice.

James

'81 Audi 5000 Diesel '69 Squareback Wannabus