Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Apr 1995 22:08:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Isabel Mergulhao <isabel@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: VANAGON digest 426

OK, doctors and mechanics, get ready to make a diagnosis.

The patient is my 1969 VW Camper (red, of course).

After driving about 400 km in cool, dry conditions two things happened simultaneously. My alternator/generator light (red) came on and stayed on. At the same time a strange but not very loud noise came from the engine compartment - sort of a 'whupping' sound. We finished the drive as we were only 5 km from home. We suspected that the sound may have been a broken belt of some kind and that the light came on because the battery was consequently no longer charging.

Upon inspection of the engine compartment we found oil had spattered the inside of the compartment. The only obvious belt, the fan belt, is intact and does not appear to be slipping. The engine did not appear to be overly hot at that time (although that observation is not 100%).

I have not seriously worked on figuring out what's wrong yet. This has much to do with the fact that I am a mechanical gumby and it's much easier to ask those who might *know* the answer.

My bible ("How to keep your VW alive") does not seem to link the red light with anything that might explain the oil. Is it two problems or one? What is/are the problems? What kind of repair effort am I looking at here?

Any guesses would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler Jordan 69 VW Camper (Big Daddy aka The Little Red Rocket) (on my SO's account - isabel@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca)