Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         19 Apr 1995 08:17:41 -0800
From:         "McGinnis Terry" <McGinnis_Terry@mm.rdd.lmsc.lockheed.com>
Subject:      '64 Tranny Problems

I am in serious need of some technical advise.

The axles that I had put on my new rebuilt tranny are the original ones from my '64 Camper, which I had forgotten from when I put in the used tranny 5 years ago, had different sized stub axles, and everything from the backing plates out to the brake drums. Unfortunately, when I moved three years ago, when I was cleaning out the garage, I decided that I didn't need those old rusty drums and dirty brake assemblies (having by then forgotten that they were unique to the original axles).

Now that I am putting the rebuilt tranny assembly in, I called up my FLAPS and was informed that it will probably be impossible to get the drums and backing plates, unless I can find the stuff in a junkyard. I looked in the Bus Stop (Rocky Mountain Motorworks) catalog and found that they don't stock these parts (only post '64 drums are available). Today I plan to call the Bus Boys and see if they can give me any hope, after which I'll call VW Used Parts Center in San Jose as a last resort. I would like to be able to use at least new drums, since I drive winding coastal range highways here in NoCal and was wondering if any of the bug stuff might work for my bus, since, if I recall correctly, the bug also uses the 36 mm axle nut, as do my old stub axles.

On the good note, I coughed up the $120 to buy a Gene Berg shifter for my old bus and it is an impressive piece of work, although it looks like I'll need to open up the hole in my floor mat to clear the base of the assembly (this thing has a shorter throw because the tall base raises the pivot point of the shifter about 2 inches). I got this shifter 'cause I want my wife to be able to drive the bus when I am all done, and with her short stature, she had problems reaching all the gears (particularly 3rd) with that big steering wheel pushing up against her endowments. For her part, she is really excited that the bus will be back on the road soon, as she misses the camping trips and she really does look forward to being able to drive it to relieve me from having to spen all my time behind the wheel.

I did get new bushings for the shift rod and will be putting them in tonight, but I wanted to resolve this brake problem before putting the tranny in, just in case I need to get the axles changed again.

To recap, does anyone out there know if brake drums are available new for the pre-64 TII's, or if bug components will work.

Thanks for any info, --terry ('64 Camper Phoenix)