Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Apr 1995 15:21:41 +0100 (BST)
From:         "M.Grant" <mty016@coventry.ac.uk>
Subject:      Easter van playing.

When my bus ('70 & 2 litre) broke down a few weeks ago, I put it in the back garden and left it for when I had some time to look at it. As this weekend was Easter, I had an enforced 5 days to play with the bus and to right as many wrongs as possible. As it turned out the bike demanded 2 days of electrical work leaving me 3 days for the bus.

Day 1 was remove passenger door and make up a plate to weld along the bottom, as mine had completly rusted away. Maybe not a priority given the other jobs that needed doing, but I was fed up with opening the door and finding little pieces of rust sitting there.

Day 2 was to fit air conditioning. What A/C in the UK? Well alright then, I actually cut the cab floor out, but it would probably be the same effect.

The previous owner had responded to a rusting cab floor by welding panels above and below the rust and then leaving it alone. So over the years it rusted from the inside out, only showing up badly few months ago, by which time its also taken out one of the chassis (sp?) members from the top. So floor and a large lump of metal to replace. Also after digging around with a screwdriver I found the passengers seatbelt mounting has more or less rusted right out. A moderate smack would have smeared an unfortunate passenger all over the windscreen, but thats ok, cause the screen needs replacing anyway :)

Day 3 I took out the engine. Looking in the oil strainer revealed a tiny lump of rubber and a small almost circular piece of swarf. Nothing I particularly recognised as belonging anywhere specific. Removing cylinder head, rocker gear and pushrods for 3 and 4 showed a pushrod from 3 with a completely missing end (on the lifter end)!! Well that explains why I lost power before the oil light came on and stayed on. I haven't stripped any more of the engine, but I'm already playing `I wonder where the end has gone' detective.

Oh well. I may just chuck a 1600 in for a bit and rebuild the 2000 as and when finances allow. At least with all the welding that needs doing, the van should be a good 'un by the time it hits the road again.

cheers Marcus '70 bus with floor mounted exit and no engine.

__ Marcus Grant mty016@uk.ac.cov