Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Apr 1995 12:18:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Richard Copley <rcop@unixg.ubc.ca>
Subject:      '76 westy (sniff!) FOR SALE

To a good home:

1976 VW Westfalia ('Campmobile') I say it's yellow, Christa sez it's orange, Martha settled it by calling it "Mango"

169,480 miles Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Very good condition overall: Motor in excellent shape: Compression tests 120-140 in all 4 Uses 1 litre of oil/1000 miles consistently, so pretty tight Rebuilt motor from previous previous owner (unfortunately w/o good documentation, grrr...) but as far as I can make out it's got 40- 50k on rebuild (still tight, remember!)

Some body rust, to varying degrees. Rear of front wheel wells, rocker panels, paint chips on front... you know the story.

Lower ball joint boots are split. Were when I bought it, haven't replaced them but have kept grease packed in there, still no noticeable play in the front end using St. Muir's tests, so I think they've got a long while left to go. I put in brand new shocks before leaving on the trip just to reduce wear on the front end generally. Steering still reasonably tight.

Dipstick oil temp sender in place, and I have all the parts to install a dual sender oil pressure gauge but never got to intalling it, so the oil pressure gauge stuff goes with the bus, along with spare clutch and throttle cables (nice guy, huh?).

Good rubber on all 4 tires. Michelin XZX on front, Hercules Merit (made by Cooper) on rear. Bought the rears in the Bay Area (so they've got 12,000 on them) and I'll post a (positive) review of them for the tire files when I get on the list formally. I'll include a set on tire chains with it.

I installed a gas heater (a BN-4) before leaving on the trip, and after working a bugs out have a great heater operated from an electric switch on the dash. REAL nice on cold days. Drove the bus through -30 C temps in New Brunswick and we were comfy!

Interior in very nice shape. Original upholstery still nice. I've replaced all the broken cabinet latches with new ones, and I put in new electric sink pump/faucet/switch. Christa and I spent a weekend replacing the padding in the then-lumpy seats with special high density foam rubber so now we've got really comforatble seats.

Maintanence records: I've catalogued and sorted all the records the previous owner provided me with, and kept proper records myself.

Previous owner did change oil properly, as evidenced by thick sticky pile of oil change stickers on inside of driver's door. I change oil and adjust valves every 3,000 miles, period.

Mechanical failures experienced on 15,000 mile trip: 1 split outer CV joint boot. 1 frozen starter solenoid, eventually freed up with hammer--replacement solenoid comes with the camper, tho. 1 flat tire, repaired That's it!

That's probably a pretty good overview without drowning you in detail. It really is a very good little bus, and I'd like to see it go to a good home where it will be properly looked after.

I'm asking $3,500 CDN (or $2,450 US), but special consideration will be given to vanagon list folks.

Any inquiries please post to this email account directly, NOT to the list, as I am not yet on the list. Better yet, give me a phone call:

Tobin Copley / Christa Ovenell (604) 689 - 2660 Vancouver, Canada