Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Apr 95 11:24:47 PDT
From:         Al Knoll <alf@hpptc38.rose.hp.com>
Subject:      FTC, VWOA, Head Replacement Questions

Das syncromeister sez:

I believe you should make VW pay for the entire repair. Just print out about 25 tales of wow over these head gaskets, go through the FTC arbitration program, and you should be able to get this whole job done for free an a VW dealer.

Seriously.

And if you are under 50,000 miles VW will pay for the whole thing no questions asked. For other mileage up to around 100,000, VW will pay a part of the repair no questions asked. But by going through the FTC program you should be able to get this thing done for free.

Derek Drew

Now I think there's a fulcrum here for all of us suffering head cases.

I volunteer to archive the composite tales of woe/terror/ripoff/etc regarding head replacement, leaking seals, etc.

If we gather the info correctly we will have a strong case for presenting VWOA with either a "make it right via FTC" or a potential Class Action lawsuit.

I will need:

1. VIN of your vehicle. Description EG: 1989 Vanagon Westfalia Syncro.

2. Documentation reference for the problem: EG dealer receipts, repair histories, 8x10 color-glossy-photos of icky bluegreen vanagon blood on your parking spot or some such similar proof of defect.

3. I need to know mileage: a. When you first noticed the defect. b. When you had it repaired if you did. c. Present mileage on the VIN vehicle.

4. Your name, net address and if you wish your papermail address and a telephone number.

5. If you've had the defect repaired at your expense, I will need a doc-ref for a legitimate receipt as proof of expense.

6. I will also need the dealer reference or repair shop reference where the problem was identified, worked on, or fixed. Name, Location, Phone.

I intend to use the information to support my claim and I willprovide the analysis free of course to anyone on the list who would like it via a post or inclusion into the FAQ.

I called vwoa and got a pleasant, well trained, phone screening person who first denied the existence of the FTC issue, then begrudgingly sent me an incomplete package of the filing/arbitration procedure and then adamantly told me that "these things do wear out, you know" and "with the mileage on your vehicle we will not be able to provide any assistance". Goatblather!

I subsequently got a nice "sorry charlie" letter from vwoa which I would be happy to share.

My point is vwoa has obviously directed these folks to "cut their losses" by discouraging action by owners. I intend to overcome their resistance to aid loyal customers by demanding they pay parts in full and labor at shop cost to repair an obvious design flaw.

I could use your help and you if you like could use my results to help yourself with the eventual head replacement on your 1.9 or 2.1 "coolant leaker".

To aid my categorization of the replies PLEASE make the subject line "FTC" and mail directly to me (copy the list if you like). I use digest mode and Lew Platt thinks I shouldn't be spending company time stripping info out of personal mail.

Send Responses to "alf@hpptc38.rose.hp.com". I'll acknowledge each reply.

TIA alf ("they all do that" NOT!)

r -- -- ___ / __ __/ ____/ Al Knoll HP Performance Technology / / / / / Center Roseville, CA, USA 95747 / _____/ / / 916.785.5317 (Telnet 785-5317) / / / / email: alf@hpptc44.rose.hp.com / __/ __/ ______/ ___________________________________/