Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Apr 95 18:18:45 PDT
From:         David.Kao@Eng.Sun.COM (David Kao)
Subject:      Re: VERY IMPORTANT TO ME!!!

I know how you feel. When I was fresh out of college I worked on a job of repairing analytical instruments, called GC (Gas Chromatography). They have one large and at least 2 small ovens in the temp range from room temp up to 500 deg C. The ovens are all insulated by asbestos materials. I don't remember how many times I had opened up the insulation materials to repair the ovens. I wish I could forget my memory of that part of my life.

I saw that kind of material on a VW bus in a junkyard just a few weeks ago. It wrapped around some kind of heater thing which I am not familiar and not sure what it was. I did recognize that it was the same stuff on the oven I worked on. I think it was asbestos.

I think I am OK today (just had a lung Xray a year ago). I try to think of the good part of the job I did. I think I probably saved a life on the job. One type of GC had radio active material in one of the oven. That particular GC was used to examine water quality to detect pesticide residue and to determin if the water is safe for human being.

One of such GC site had a problem and I noticed that the operator was sleepy everyday during the day. I consulted with a friend who majored in nuclear engineering. I was told if a person got over exposed to radioactive materials the first sympton is to become very sleepy. I immediately notified my employer and had the GC's oven replaced (by me). A few weeks later the operator recovered and no longer sleepy any more. I quit the job a few months later.

Anyway, I believe what I saw in the junkyard was asbestos on a VW bus. Not trying to scare you. I suggest that have your bus examined to determine if it is asbestos as soon as you can.

David Kao dkao@eng.sun.com