Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Apr 1995 12:55:53 -0400
From:         "David Easterwood" <deasterw@st6000.sct.edu>
Subject:      Re: Help on Brake Drum.

>I can't get the brake drum off for the life of me. > >Is there some sort of tool which lets you hook it to the drum, and >somehow put pressure in the middle on the axle to get it to come >loose? >

This is a common problem for buses that have sat around for a while and I have used the following proceedure:

#1 Adjust the brake shoe adjusting screw stars in all the way.

#2 Tap around the entire drum with hammer to loosen up the shoes if they were stuck to the drum.

#3 If the drum still won't come off, the shoes may be pivoting. You might have to use a screwdriver to tap the shoes through the lug bolt holes in the drum. Putting the wheel back on the drum can give you more leverage for pulling the drum off.

#4 If all else fails go and get a wheel puller that does exactly as you described above. Mine has 3 arms that bolt onto the drum in the lug bolt holes. Snap On has one in their currrent catalog.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- * 59 Dbl Dr Walk-Thru Panel Dave Easterwood * * 59 & 61 Single Cab Pickups deasterw@st6000.sct.edu * * 66 Westfalia * * 66 Hardtop & Sunroof Deluxe Buses 61 Deluxe Beetle * * 73 & 77 Westfalias 69 Rust Bug * * 74 Thing 64 Type 34 Karmann Ghia * -----------------------------------------------------------------------