Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Apr 1995 11:19:59 -0700
From:         "Larry MacPhee"  <lmacphe@cello.gina.calstate.edu>
Subject:      Re: new trip proposal!

So Martha wants a trip to Baja:

> I assume we're talking about something more extensive than crossing > the line into Tijuana, so need some suggestions for places in Mexico. > > Secondly, which months?

OK, here's my suggestion:

Guadalupe Hot Springs. Cross into Mexico at Tecate. The beer is named after the town. Of the two, I prefer the beer :) As I recall, you drive about 200 miles (I'll check on this), most of it on nice paved toll road with fairly regular gas stops. The last 30 miles or so is on graded dirt road in decent condition, and the final 5 miles is only to be attempted with gay abandon in a passenger car (We took our Honda Civic there and popped some major dents into the underside. I'm amazed we didn't do any serious damage). It's more a matter of clearance than traction so vans of any sort should be fine. The place is a real gem. It is located in a Canyon with a Palm Oasis and about 30 campsites. Most sites are secluded and all have their own hot tubs with running hot spring water piped in. There are primitive but flushing toilets (flushed with hot spring water) and showers are not a problem for you know who. There is also a large warm water pond suitable for dips even after it cools down at night. There is a small store there where you can buy beer and a few other supplies. Alice and I spent last Thanksgiving there with a few friends. It's a long haul, but a beautiful spot. Sites are about 20 bucks per night for 2 vehicles and more for larger parties, but the hot springs make it all worthwhile. So whaddya think?

Larry MacPhee (Use UCI address for faster response)

lmacphee@vmsa.oac.uci.edu lmacphe@cello.gina.calstate.edu