Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Apr 95 16:48:04 EDT
From:         ja@decws3.coe.wvu.edu (John Anderson)
Subject:      Re: Should I Buy this Synchro?

> > $8,000 for an '87 Synchro with a new engine? Holy smokes! What do > you want?!? Dicker?!? He's willing to dicker?!? What a steal. Now > if it were me, I would already be driving the van. But wait! Will > your dad do all of the maintenance things that we on the list do (e.g. > bleed the cooling system regularly) to keep our babies running, or is > sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com

Thanks for the opinion, I too thought it is incredible, but the guy who owns it is sort of an idiot and not much of a VW van person, as to dad he has always done regular maintanence on his cars meticulously, he was adjusting valves on his '65 thirty years ago himself since day one, has rebuilt type I's and IV's and certainly is up to the task, I was more interested in what to expect in terms of reliabilty of the major components we can't help. As to the price, sorry my only comparison is NADA which puts it at about $7000, I know from my Quantum Synchro experience that these things go much above NADA but didn't know just how much, the other negative I failed to mention is the guy is a smoker and has 4 small kids so the interior stinks and is a little worn, but really much better than I had expected for all those kids, we (me and my 2 sisters) beat up our old '68 much worse in 8 years. Still yet it is 8+ years old, the rest of that $1000 exhaust will probably go within 2-3 years, and if anything happens to the tranny you can only pray for the used parts gods to bless you. All the same, I will probably take a good long look this week and he may buy this thing within a few weeks, if he doesn't and anyone else is interested, I'll post info on my findings, like I said pretty darn clean vav on first look.

John Anderson ja@coe.wvu.edu '71 Westy, '90 Corrado G60