Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Apr 1995 18:38:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@io.nosc.mil>
Subject:      '73 Safare' Update - Solar Panel install

Volks, Since everyone seems to like Thom's progress reports, I thought I would share with you some of the things I am doing to my '73 Safare. Plus, I'm too tired to work anymore. =)

In preparation for the GNATT tour, I am frantically trying to get a bunch of things done to the camper, including:

Synthetic lube in Transmission Oil Change/Valve adjust with synthetic oil New tires on rear Rebuild front calipers (they are dragging and squealing) Build new cabinets for the interior to house fridge and stove New curtains (With the help of Martha Rubin) Install Solar Panels

I blew the entire day yesterday goofing off, so I decided I had better get started with the least important thing on my list today, the solar panel installation.

To review, A couple of months ago I bought 4 solar panels from Solar Electric here in San Diego (1-800-842-5678). These panels are rated 27 watts each (5.4 V @ 5.1 amps) and are the same ones that the elderly lady at Burrow Schmidt's tunnel had on her roof. They were originally part of a solar power plant run by ARCO in the Arizona desert. Anyway, the panels have 36 cells that were wired in a 12x3 configuration. With careful use of an exacto knife and soldering gun they can be rewired in a 36x1 configuration to produce 17.2 Volts at 1.7 amps. I spent a couple of hours performing this surgery on two of the panels, and then sealed up all the cuts in the back of the panels with some special hi-tech sealant that the guys at Solar Electric sold me. A quick test in full sunlight showed each panel producing over 20 volts at 2 amps. I was quite pleased. While the sealant dried, I took the aluminum frames out on the patio and spray painted them white to match the roof.

I was hoping that I would be able to fit all four panels on the roof of my bus for a glorius 8 amps of power, but the roof vent was right in the way, and without removing it there was no way that more than two panels were going to fit. I decided to keep the roof vent and mount two panels in front of it in the middle of the roof, and hopefully find a way to attach the other two sticking out over the edge when the van is parked.

A primary concern, after having my van stolen once and hearing about Thom's woes, was to make these puppies hard to steal. The van will be sitting on the street unattended most of the time, and I am really worried about some bozos spotting the panels and deciding to rip them off. As it turns out, the mounting holes on the frames are on the inside, and are not accessible unless you take the end of the frame apart and slide the panels out. Good.

In order to permantly mount these puppies, I knew I would have to drill holes in the fiberglass top. This distressed me, so I had a couple of beers to build up my courage. I hauled the ladder out and leaned it up against the side of the bus, and positioned the two empty frames (now bolted together) on the roof. Looks like two of the holes are going to be inside the forward storage cabinet. Good. Looks like the other two will be able to double as mounting points for the rail that will be supporting the shower curtain. Woops, did I say that? Heh heh... Hauled out the extention cord, fired up the drill, and the dirty deed was done. The Homeowners association is gonna love me for this, since they don't allow working on cars in parking spots. Good thing I don't care. Besides, I'm just gonna tell them, "It's not a car, it's a Volkswagen!". I drilled a fifth hole for the wires to go through also.

Installed four mounting bolts at the corners and tightened it down. Slid the panels in half way, and threaded the wires through the holes. Hooked up the soldering gun and soldered all of the connections. Since the two panels are connected by soldered wires passing through the frame, they will no longer be able to be removed. One more deterrent to theft. Put the end caps back on the frame and screwed them in. Have to do something to the screws to keep them from being removed - make a mental note to dab some epoxy over the heads later, that should do the trick.

Inside the camper, brought the negative wire in from the panel and grounded it to the roof of the cab. Hooked the positive wire in to the wire running to the interior light, cause it was convenient. In line with the positive wire, I installed one of those doodads that you find on the back of speakers, where you push in a button and insert a wire. Mounted it in the cabinet over the cab. This is a temporary solution to the problem of overcharging the batteries due to the high voltage of the panels. The permanent solution is to get a special regulator designed for that purpose, but at $50 (and up for a good one) I have more important things to spend my money on right now. Inserting a jumper wire across the doodad allows the batteries to charge. I will just remove the jumper when the van is parked for extended periods. But the main reason I installed the doodad is that in place of the jumper I can insert the leads of a digital multimeter to monitor the current that is leaving the panels. Haven't found a ammeter that is appropriate for the job that is less than $30, and I refuse to pay that much.

Went to home depot and bought a tube of clear silicon sealant. Gonna line all of the mounting holes with it, and put a bead around the edge of each panel and around the frame so hopefully no water will get underneath. Still on the to-do list, have to get a nice big diode to put in line with the panel, since in the dark the panels will sap current from the batteries otherwise. Even though this system is not yet automatic, I am quite pleased with it. The fridge draws about 7 amps intermittently, so in the sun the panels should produce enough power to keep the batteries from discharging. In the early morning, late evening, and night the fridge turns on less often since it is cooler, and there is not as much drain on the batteries. I figure with the panels, and sun, and driving every couple of days, I should be able to go pretty much indefinately without plugging in.

If anyone is interested in getting some of these panels, move quickly. Last time I was at Solar Electric (couple of weeks ago) they said they are running low on the panels and that the price is going to go up soon. You can get 4 for $200 like I did, or buy individual panels for $70 each. Aluminum frames for the panels are $25 each. Of course, they have to be rewired to produce higher voltage unless you are going to run three of them wired in series externally. They will rewire them for you for $30/panel. Solar electric is run by a couple of guys in their 20's, and they are very knowledgable, friendly guys. I have no connection with them except as a satisfied customer.

-David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) San Diego, California '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) schwarze@nosc.mil http://papaya.nosc.mil/~schwarze =============================================================================