Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Apr 95 10:42:00 PDT
From:         Ed McMullin <Ed_McMullin@ccm.jf.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: Mechanic recommendations?? - Portland,OR

I have a 75 so my experience may not apply... But...

AVOID Wayco Automotive.

My regular shop quoted me $2800 to rebuild my 1.8 FI motor. Wayco quoted $1400. I had almost bought a van from Wayco a year earlier and had sent a friend to him for 2 engine rebuilds (a 67 Van and a double cab PU) and my friend had had very good luck.

Well, Wayco did the job, but took 2 weeks to complete. 3 months later, the van started running like crap. 1 week at Wayco and he basically gave up, told me to come get it, he didn't know what was wrong. I had told him I would not pay for him to replace the condenser unless he guaranteed it would solve the problem...

So, limped it over to my regular shop (D&M automotive in Beaverton) and they tell me the cam has a lobe missing. Call Wayco, he says he'll rebuild it, but since he didn't charge me for a cam, (invoice said "good used cam, N/C") he would put in another used one. D&M recommended I get a new German cam and new German lifters. Wayco doesn't know were to get new German cam and lifters. D&M orders them for me and gives them to me AT COST! I take them out to Wayco. 2 weeks later, I go out to pick up the van and 5 miles (Really, I have the tow bill to prove it!) later, it explodes.

Tow the van back to Wayco, he's closed. Leave a note. Get a call from Wayco next day and he says "What's wrong?" Tell him to story, listen to him tell me I was driving it too hard. Tell him even if I was driving too hard (I wasn't) that it should have gone more than 5 miles. OK, he agrees to repair it.

My new German cam is broken into 3 pieces, two pistons/cylinders are destroyed, the case is ruined and the crank is broken. Apparently, he forgot to torque the crank bolts or something...

He takes 4 weeks to fix it this time because he didn't have the cash flow to purchase all the parts he needed to fix my car.

So, for $1400 I got to have the motor rebuilt 3 times! Next time either D&M gets the $2800, or I put in a GEX myself.

I can't possibly tell you how pleased I have been with the service at D&M. The first time we went there, it was shortly after we had purchased the van and it just started running badly after I had pulled away from a stop light. I limped it over to D&M because they were close, and we knew they specialized in VW/Audi. It was a Sunday so we left a note saying if it was under $100 to fix it. Got a call first thing Monday, a spark plug had vibrated loose and fallen out! $7.50, come get the van! I've been pretty loyal ever since (except for the motor in the van and the transaxle in the Ghia...)

Wow! Another CyberVan in Portland!

Ed McMullin ed_mcmullin@ccm.jf.intel.com

Now that I'm fairly sure that my '84 van needs a head gasket job, I would like to find a competent mechanic in the Portland, Oregon area. Anyone know of shops to avoid or recommend?

Usually I deal with Vintage Motoring. They are trustworthy and reasonable ($38/hour). However, they were not able to diagnose my head problem properly, so I suspect that they are a little lacking in the head gasket area.

I would like to find a shop that has experience with head replacements and reconditioning (i.e. machining). Also, they must be current with all the new procedures and Tech Service Bulletins associated with head gaskets (new torque setting, etc).

Thanks for your help.

Dave