Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Apr 1995 11:15:18 -0700
From:         eugp@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Eugene C. Palmer)
Subject:      Successful Super Sale

VW folks,

I'm happy to report a glowing success at the Vallejo Bug BAsh. The bug and bus sold for mostly the asking prices. I got $750 for the '67 bus that looks like it has been through the post-industrial urban wasteland (it has). It looks so bad people said stuff like "did you really drive it here?," or "be careful driving home!." SUch a deal, talk of the meet I think, alot of people looked it over. I also drove it there with what must have been over 2500 pounds of engines, flywheels, starters, on and on, many heavy metal things. It did great. The gentleman buying the bus is a restorer, and we hope to see it winning contests a few years from now. It is a beautiful thing that the bus will live on and turn into Cinderella. We are fantasizing that we'll buy it back from him after he's won a bunch of awards and we somehow get rich.

For anyone interested in what happens at a swap meet;

Admission was $50 for my friend and myself at a swap spot! All the dual carb kits sold for $100 (Baby Dell's), $115 (Kadrons) to $165 for the Weber 40 IDF-XE. Lots of stuff went for the princely sum of $1. That flywheel hurt! Mostly stuff went for $5 or $10 for something medium cool. I thought a starter was worth more, oh well. My fabulous collection of camshafts, I've got almost all gear pitches from -4 to +4, would not move at $5 each. I refused to go lower because my sweetie came up with the great idea of turning them into candlestick holders, they'll be worth lots more as conversation pieces. Almost none of the 1971 bus stuff sold. Sliding door w louvered windows, passenger door, rear apron, etc. Most people are early bus and bug at these things I think.

It was hot and sunny but we only got a little sun-burned. The management of the VW super sale (us) were happy to provide free paper shop towels and hand cleaner to anyone in need. A successful and highly recommended practice. Shoppers could also get a free spark plug too, nobody took one even though they were all good Bosch super W8AC's. Most of the action happened between 9 am and 11:30 am, with a good burst near 2 pm when prices were dropped.

If I ever do this again I'll put up a sign that says "VW vanagon listserver member" or something like that. Oh well.

See Ya, Eugene