Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Apr 1995 12:57:15 -0700
From:         wabbott@townshend.Corp.Megatest.COM (William Abbott)
Subject:      Galvanic rust protection, rust repair

VW uses zinc gasket/washers between the front fenders and the unibody on the waterpumpers- A1 and up. I've noticed there are two bright 'silvery' metal bolts that don't seem to do anything in the leading edge of my Corrado's door. They COULD be adjustments of some kind- the 914's door-window channel was ADJUSTABLE for tilt by a nut-and-screw business a lot like a rocker adjuster at the bottom of the door... Or those bolts could be sacrificial electrodes. I should ask the parts guys. A sacrificial electrode on my single-cab would be a good deal... I'm going to look into it.

Over the weekend, my gentleman neighbor, Bill, cut out the rusted through parts of my '70's battery tray and cleaned up the weld-through where DFO (Dread Former Owner) or someone had re-wire-welded the air-cleaner support. He said the biggest problem was that the rust had thinned the metal around the holes, so that when he put heat on them, they got bigger! But the starboard rear inner fender is now solid again. And for a bag of sand, he'll sand blast the area. Ian says I should then shoot an etching primer for clean metal over it- he says Eastwood just came out with an aerosol. Call 'em later today.

Bill got burned on one finger from melted tar undercoat that dripped. I owe him big time and plan to start with a nice dinner for him and his family.

Incidentally, Bill just picked up the back end of the bus with his engine hoist- bolted the hoist chain to the outer two holes where the apron between the engine and bumper mounts, and just lifted it high enough to put hefty supports under the rear wheels! 30 degrees nose down!

I still haven't seen the battery tray repair part from Mill Supply, but I expect it to arrive any day now. (A package from New Hampsire, shipped UPS, took from the 6th to the 14th to make the journey earlier this month, so I guess UPS cross-country is now a two week affair. USPS can beat that for not too much more money.

We're going to do the brake system tonight!