Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Apr 95 17:50:41 EDT
From:         jag@cs.rochester.edu
Subject:      Re: DIESEL VANAGON QUESTIONS

On Fri, 31 Mar 1995, Susan & James Kramer wrote: > > Recognizing that those early 80s Vanagon Westfalia's have been politely > described as under powered, I'm curious to know just how woeful the little > Rabbit engine is pushing all that weight:

> 1) How long does the engine last, or better phrased, how much shorter is > the life expectancy than in a Rabbit?

The previous owner of my 82 Westy had the engine rebuilt at 70k miles, It's still doing fine at 115k now. Saw a claim in the "most miles" thread on r.a.vw recently claiming 170k miles on a diesel vanagon.

> 2) After the 5 minute acceleration lead-up, at what speed can the Diesel > Vanagon cruise comfortably on level highway?

55-60 is nice and reasonably quiet when it's level. Uphill is noisy. VW allows you to modify the injection pump settings for improved performance (see Bentley's vw golf-jetta diesel manual), but I haven't had a need to do this.

> 3) What are people's actual experiences with mileage around town and on the > highway?

I usually get at least 26 mpg mixed driving, 30 mpg highway, and up to 33 mpg doing "scenic cruising" (driving nice country roads in 40-50 mph).

On Fri, 31 Mar 1995 James N Gagliardi wrote: <jg6r+@andrew.cmu.edu>

> 3. Fuel injection is 100% mechanical so you can re-pipe the intake and > exhaust and drive in up to 3 feet of water without risk of flooding your > distributor. (CAUTION, in high compression diesel engines, water in > the intake is bad...).

Too bad there isn't a mechanical override for the fuel shutoff solenoid. Then it could be pushed to a start with a completely dead battery.

> 4. Glow Plugs.

Well, I guess I forgot about these. My engine doesn't want to start at all without them (Rochester temperatures).

> 5. Free oil slick in your driveway.

With synthetic oil mine leaks a bit also. Haven't tracked down the source of the leak yet. Used to curse the previous owner of my house for the permanent oil stains on my driveway, until I discovered I was replenishing myself...

Let's keep this diesel thread going! I'm new to this list, but I looked at the archives, and couldn't see any diesel flaming, so I hope potential diesel haters will allow some religious freedom.

I used to drive heavy trucks and busses for college money, and came to like the big diesels in these. Now living off a graduate stipend I find that my diesel VW Westfalia camper gives me a lot of vacation pleasure per $, both invested and spent on fuel.

The vw-diesel doesn't have a good quality reputation compared to "real" diesels, but that's true of other diesels built from gas engine blocks as well. (Old's attempt comes to mind). Compared to a gas engine it seems to give give it's owners many (trouble free?) miles though.

For the grad student low budget, big diesel wannabee it may be the best option.

BTW is there a VW diesel mailing list?

/Martin

--

Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.rochester.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.chalmers.se University of Rochester Fax: (716) 461-2018 Rochester, NY 14627-0226 WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/