Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Apr 1995 22:52:33 -0500
From:         serafin@falcon.ece.utexas.edu (Stephen Serafin for Malek)
Subject:      Defeating '75 bus self-destructs

VWers,

I have been monitoring this list on-and-off for about the last year. The topic of discussion has been so intriguing I went out and picked up a '75 bus (station wagon, but my 2yr old will only call it a bus).

My first order of business is to make repairs that will keep it from self-destructing. I've already lubed it, changed the oil and filter and cleaned the screen. The filter was really difficult to remove. Anybody have a favorite brand tool for the filter (I tried 2, one slipped, the other didn't clear everything).

The engine was rebuilt 2 yrs ago and has 2000mi on it (the previous owner will give me the receipts as soon as he finds them). Unfortunately all the rubber parts on the engine and in the engine compartment are rotted away. The first time I filled the tank, gas started leaking from the vent line connection on the left side.

I found spark plug air seals, engine seal, road draft tube, and timing hole plug listed in the WCM catalog. What about all the other seals? How about the alternator cover plate insert? Aren't there supposed to be seals around the a/c compressor? The hoses and fittings would be nice to have too though standard supply parts could be used.

The last item I found needing immediate attention is the distributor. The one currently installed is purely mechanically advanced. The original must have had vacuum advance as well. Any idea which distributor belongs in this bus? The bus was manufactured in 10/74, chassis no. 225203xxxx and engine code ED008xxx. This seems to be an early '75 as the original owner was given a '74 owner's manual.

Any information will be appreciated. I will be keeping good records of this adventure and look forward to sharing as much as I can with this list.

Stephen Serafin ('75 bus) serafin@falcon.ece.utexas.edu