Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Apr 95 7:28:58 EDT
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Re: Fuel and Oil for a Vanagon?

There a few reasons why I decided to put synthetic in the Westy (after a 10k break in): the synthetic comes in a broad viscosity range of 5W50 which is ideal for Ottawa in the spring and summer where it can be cool in the morning and hot in the afternoon.

Based on a monitoring of the oil pressure gauge synthetics seem to "shed" their heat much more quickly; ie after a 15 minute shut down oil pressures will be back up where they were at cold startup, To me this indicates that synthetics may be less susceptible to "thermal breakdown" which is a standard argument. Of course the counter-argument is that this heat is passed on to the block - although the head temp gauge shows no significant difference w/without (this may change at the margins, ie summer).

Synthetics are claimed to have better flow characteristics that translates into better mileage and lower wear at startup - of these I have no proof but will report back this summer. Of course synthetics are claimed to leak more for the same reason and again this has a grain of truth but only if there is significant sludge in the system. As Joel would say - if running synthetics make YOU feel better then this in itself is beneficial.

Synthetic is about twice the price of regular 20W50 - which does not mean that I change the oil less often - six months or 5000 miles seems to be the way to go for me regradless of the oil that is being used. DC

---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-2889 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------