Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Apr 95 08:07:15 PDT
From:         Steve Reilly <steve@caliban.ucsd.edu>
Subject:      Heads leak...wires melt?

Hello all,

I've been lurking, off and on, here in San Diego for a couple of months now, and I'm intrigued (bemused?) by the apparently high frequency of head leak problems. My impression from reading this list and talking to vanagon owners in my area (and as you could see from the Truck Trader ads posted by someone the other day, there are a lot of vanagons around here) is that ALL vanagons have this problem, sooner or later. I've been through it with both of mine (an 84 and my current 90), and, frankly, it pisses me off. Don't get me wrong, I love these vehicles, warts and all, and given that they are no longer produced, I plan to keep my 90 carat for a long time.(Which is why I really appreciate this list).

I'll post the details of my head repairs directly to Alf for his FTC compilation, but spare the rest of you for now. The real reason for this post is to see if anyone can explain what may have led to the following: Two days (and maybe 50 miles) after having the heads redone on my 84, the wiring harness did a complete meltdown! This is now only an academic issue, as it happened about 3 years ago, its long since been paid for, and I no longer own the van, but the situation still nags me a bit.

The head work was done by an independent garage - one that works on lots of pricey German stuff like MBs, BMWs, and Audis, and has a pretty good reputation. The local dealer offered no assistance with the repair costs, and said nothing about VWoA maybe chipping in, so I took it elsewhere for a lower bid. (Unfortunately, I handed over all my paperwork when I sold the van, so don't have the documentation to attempt to recover some of the expense through the FTC). Anyway, the head work was done on schedule, within the estimate, and all apeared copacetic. Then, two days later while at a traffic light, a very bad nasty smell took over the poor baby, smoke luffed out of the engine compartment, and poof! it ran no more. I had it towed to the garage (it was after hours) and the next day made calls to service departments of two VW dealers, and two other VW independent garages. The consensus was, gee, it seems pretty suspicious, they probably did something to cause the meltdown, but it will be hard to prove, since the head work shouldn't involve messing with the wiring, other than unplugging and replugging, and the van did run correctly when they were done.

So, I blustered and argued with the shop owner, and he finally agreed to replace the harness for cost of the part only (which I later found out he jacked up quite a bit...). I paid the hundreds of dollars, and went on my way, poorer but no wiser.

So, my question (at long last) to the collective expertise of this fantastic list is, was it a coincidence, or did I get $crewed? If the latter, what could those guys possibly have done when replacing the heads to cause the meltdown?

Serious hypotheses, wild speculation, and wise-acre remarks are all quite welcome. (I'm on the digest...responses lagged).

Steve R. '90 carat ex's: '84 vanagon '77 rabbit '71 westy '70 bug '60 sunroof super90 (that was a fast VW!)

------------------------------------- Name: Stephen B. Reilly Southwest Fisheries Science Center, NMFS, NOAA PO Box 271, La Jolla, CA 92038 USA E-mail: steve@caliban.ucsd.edu

This message was sent by Chameleon -------------------------------------