Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Apr 1995 15:19:35 -0400
From:         drew@interport.net (Derek Drew)
Subject:      Re: Propane Cautions

>Derek says: >>I was able to knock one of my labels off but I can't get the other label to >>come off yet. > >>If you think you can remove your label, by all means DO IT. I used a chisel >>and a sledge hammer and a lot of bending back and forth once it started to >>come off.

>Also, I assume you had your residual propane vapors bled before you attempted >this procedure.

Actually, I didn't.

I don't think it is that important so long as the main tank valve is sealed. The only danger is actually puncturing the tank but I remember feeling at the time that I wasn't near to doing that.

Anyway, you can run into real problems trying to empty your tank as I found out once before. That is, if you take the tank out and then let it exhaust is contents away in preparation for this stuff, you could destroy your regulator, as I did once doing this. I guess you could take the regulator off first.

I didn't bother emptying the tank the next time I used wirebrush and drill to prepare it for painting. The reason this didn't worry me is athat I know it is wrong but some people test leaks at a tank like this by putting a match up to it. If a tiny flame ignites, they know there is a slow leak. You are not supposed to do this, and I have never done it, but some people do. So if a spark from my drill hit some tiny leak out of the tank I didn't feel it meant instant death. And anyway, I don't think the main valve has tiny leaks. It is the regulator that sometimes leaks.

And by the way, you are right about the time to repaint. While I listed only 5 hours, it also took me a whole week as it did you cause I used Rustoleum and you have to let the primer dry for, like, two days before applying the top coat and other tings take time.

Derek ___________________________________ Derek Drew drew@interport.net (main address for e-mail) derekdrew@aol.com (alternate/backup address, checked infrequently)