Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Apr 1995 19:17:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Steve Johnson <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Red Rock Trip Report Part 3 - Shake, Rattle & Roll

Red Rock Trip Report Part 3 - Shake, Rattle & Roll

'Wake up and go pee.'

"Mmmmmm"

'No don't try to go back to sleep, ya gotta pee.'

"Uh-uh. ZZZzzz"

'I SAID you gotta go PEEE.'

"Oh, dammit, Ugh.....

And that happened only twice in the first night. All's quiet. Colder than a well-diggers butt in Alaska. Wriggle out of the bag, climb down from the upper bunk and hop on the porta-potti. Finish business, climb (urr) back (ugh) up to the bunk. And wriggle (brrrrr) back into the bag. Lights out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My eyes started to open and and noticed that there was real sunlight on the canvas side of my poptop. I internally searched one more time for any indication of needing any sleep. This is nothing more than closing my eyes and relaxing. If I don't nod off, then I think I should get up. If I nod off, then it's a moot point. As it was the former, I forced myself forward to look down off of the bunk and noticed all the clutter below. Last nights clothes tossed here and there. A porta-potti, an ice chest, beer bottle collection, bag of groceries, miscellaneous eating implements and my heavy coat. Ah, what a sight.

All of a sudden I'm thinking, COFFEE!!! Man I could use some coffee right now. I hope someone has made some. I climbed down from the bunk, pulled on some cold clean clothes from my sports bag, grabbed my coffee pot and headed outside.

SUNLIGHT!!!!!! Man, it was soooo bright out, I had to go back in and get my sunglasses and headed back out into the dreaded rays.

I strolled up to the site where everyone gathered at the campfire before and noticed the well scorched beer bottles and leftover charred wood and rather thick ashes. The picnic table was littered with all kinds of left overs from the previous night and looked as though no non-human night creatures even considered touching it. I looked around and could see that no one else was stirring in our group and decided that I would have to make some coffee soon.

I went back down to the site I was parked and was making preparations to get stuff for breakfast at which time I noticed Dave Kautz who shared the site with me puttering about getting his morning act together. He yanked out a Coleman white gas fired stove and a drawer which he had pulled from his '73 camper and smiling said, "Since you had a '74 camper, you should recog- nize this." Indeed I did and we went into a discussion of the layout of those years of the VW camper.

He pulled out all of his fixin's for breakfast and I went and grabbed my all time favorite bag of grocery store bought danish and proudly placed them on the table. David had his own cinnamon rolls and had water boiling in a pan. As I didn't have much coffee in the cabinet I opted to go with hot chocolate instead. This seemed to be David and his childrens choice too.

David commenced warming his rolls on an overturned pan and Siena pronounced them as edible. This routine kept up for a spell and then David offered to do the same with the danish so I let him have at it and they seemed to be a hit. Just ask Larry McPhee. ;)

Speaking of which, Amy, Larry and their kids came strolling over from their sight offering oranges and pop-tarts to the buffet, along with some good coffee. Thus making a semi- mocha for me. Ahhh, that's good stuff Maynard.

Various discussions about our vans and such were swapped around the table as we got our fill of the goodies set out.

Eventually things got put away. "Who's gonna clean them dishes!" And fun stuff like that could be heard.

Since no one was else was up yet, I decided to take a short drive out of the camp ground and down the road a few miles to make a call to my wife to let her know I'd made it okay. I was a little nervous that I hadn't called her sooner and thought she might be mad that I didn't call, but she said she knew I'd be out of touch at the camp site and that I would live to see another sunrise after I got back.

After I talked with her and we said our good-byes I went into the little general store that was the reason for the phone booths existence in the first place. I was greeted by several shelves of goods and supplies and wall paper that had pictures of scantily clad women boasting the wares of companies such as Coors, Miller, Budweiser and the like. While I'm sure the male patrons hardly minded these sultry ads, I doubt the female patrons returned for a second visit. I picked up 3 bags of ice. 1 for my ice chest and 2 for the anticipated Margaritas that were promised for the evening.

I drove back to the campsite and again enjoyed the varying shades of brown, grey, white and red scenery. There were panoramas everywhere with a stark blue sky that stretched far across the backdrop. It was intensely pleasing to see so much blue after so many days of oppressing gray. Even the desert plants appeared to cheer the sun as it rose in the east and dazzled the wide stretching valleys.

As I rolled once again into the Park I decided to have a look at the Ranger station. As I strolled around the room inside, I couldn't help but feel that the displays were still being put together and that it was incomplete. Not everything had an explanation. It was just there. There were pictures of the local critters and explanations of their behaviors in the language of that of a 5 year old. Various artifacts dating back to the mid-1800's which could only be found there or at many a persons back yard. Sadly there was the skin and head of a small brown bear laid out on a table with a small card saying that no bears are found in the southern sierra, but this one was hit by a car in 1988. Kind of depressing and in my opinion a tactless way to handle what was left of the poor beast.

Then there was the traditional "Natural" tee-shirts and such for sale in all sizes. After glancing over these I headed outside.

As I made the loop around the park I noticed the other forms of camping vehicles such as 5th wheels, cabovers, jeeps, two behemoths and a small pickup with some kind of flip top camper shell that folds forward to the cab and becomes a tent on top of the pickup shell and cab. Kind of unique, but I preferred my arrangement best.

As I arrived back at the camp, I spied Martha taking undercover video tape shots and before I could conceal myself, she had the lens already on me. I knew that my cover was blown for sure.

Meanwhile the Schwarzemiester came running up to my van as I was obviously driving up from the "in" direction he asked "Wait, where are you going?" He wanted to know if I wanted to go on an excursion to a local mining tunnel that was in the area and assured me that it wasn't that far and we'd all get there in the vans and then go to Randsburg for lunch. I told him I was game for the trip. I should've paid better attention to the little tune playing in the back ground of my mind. It was playing a little melody with a male duo singing something about a tour boat going out on a three hour tour.

We sorted out who was going to ride with who's van and then we got into the van that was closest and rolled out of the campsite without too much fanfare.

I was in the Schwarzemiester's van with Bob Kenyon and his trusted pal Al. We knew that if we went with the Schwarzemiester that we were in good hands. We were followed by the '72 orange Westy with Jack driving, followed by Martha's '82 ('81) Westy which was followed by Bradley's '66 split. Meanwhile, Larry McPhee and Alice Gibb had their own planned agenda which included their kids and they went off on their own. I surmised, that it must be part of their drug ring scheme but I kept it to myself so as not to disrupt the rest of the party.

We rambled out onto the highway and headed south on 14. As we were high-tailing it along Schwarzemiester thought he spotted one of our party on a bicycle going in the opposite direction. I figured this could be one of the Schwarzemiester's delusions but as luck would have it, there indeed was someone pedaling in the other direction and it looked almost as if they were trying to keep their identity hidden from view as they sped away. Meanwhile, Schwarzemiester initiated an exit maneuver into the shoulder of the road followed by the other vans. A quick conference as whether we should ask this person if they wanted to go on this excursion was completed in the affirmative. Three of the vans stayed behind while the Schwarzemiester would go in persuit of the cyclist. So in a spray of dust and gravel, we were headed north again. As the bicyclist spied us, it appeared as though he were literally throwing all his might into his speed in order to get away from our enclosing van.

As the gap narrowed the cyclist finally gave up the ghost and slowed down. The Scharzemiester applied the brakes and pulled over and nearly side swiped the cyclist. He hopped out of the van and was looking for the peddler as those of us in the van watched David Phillips climb back up on the shoulder with a bewildered look which seemed to say, "Am I still in this world?" David helped him up and asked him if he would like to join us on the excursion and if he'd like to just put his bike in the van and go. David quickly refused and indicated that he'd catch up with us in his van. This satisfied everyone and once again we were off on our mission to see a mysterious tunnel.

We took a turn at a road with a sign that pointed the direction to Randsburg and traveled the road for a few miles. Schwarzemiester made a turn on to a gravel road and stated that this was surely the road to the tunnel that was our goal. We all trusted his judgement as he had been there before. Meanwhile we enjoyed the view of the rugged terrain. There were other vehicles here and there along the way. Some were camping in primitive sites and most of the vehicles, I noted, were of off-road make.

We rambled along, twisting and turning through the brush and noticed that the road was becoming less and less road-like. We finally came to washout that was long, wide and sandy. The drop-off from the road was fairly abrupt and we decided to get out of the van and take a look at how much trouble it would be to traverse it. As the drop-off was tapered it looked like driving down it would not pose any problems. Schwarzemiester climbed into his Safari and eased down the road to the drop-off and crossed it with no ill effects. He pulled across the sandy wash-out with a slight swishing from the tires but that was all.

Next to traverse this pit of doom was Bradley. Well, if the Schwarze- miester's entry to the washout was the picture of grace, then Bradley's was the picture of "Damn the torpedo's, full speed ahead!" Bradley, man handled the steering wheel and put the pedal to the metal. Lurched down the drop-off and plowed ahead. About three-quarters of the way through the wash-out his sporty rear 4-ply biased tires started spinning in sand. Fortunately, Bradley new his predicament and killed the engine immediately. A group of us charged the rear of his bus and started throwing rocks under the tires for traction. I think a few prunes and some flannel were thrown in for good measure. Bradley tried a few more spins while the several of us put our shoulders to the hind quarters of the '66 Split.

There was still not enough traction. Someone found a piece of corrugated aluminum about 10 foot by 4 foot and threw it under the rear wheels. The traction gain was immediate and the '66 plowed out of the wash-out.

The other two vans found their way through the wash-out without a hitch although Martha's van needed a whip taken to it because it was being driven too slow and was threatening to get stuck in soft sand.

We treked through some more rugged terrain and then we found ourselves driving down a washout. Bewildered, the Schwarzemiester was at a loss as to where we were although he kept up the pretense that the sought after tunnel was just around the next bend.

While in the middle of the wash-out we were traversing rocks and decided it was time to stop and and send scouts to see what was ahead before going any further.

After that it was pandemonium. Some people ran ahead to see if there might be a real road. Some folks milled about checking out the geology. Others climbed the steep embankment that loomed over the left side of the riverbed we were driving through. The rest of the party hung around the vans. Bob, Martha's friend, was obviously delirious and was climbing on top of her van and having a look around.

Bradley, not having a reverse gear available, pulled out of the river bed and attempted a looping maneuver through the rocks and brush. As I was not near by, it looked as though he got stuck and was deciding what to do.

There was a conference held and the Schwarzemiester wanted to know if we wanted to hike the rest of the way or to turn back. He offered us views of wonder, adventure, and memories for a lifetime. I immediately decided that I was ready to turn back. Several people wanted to continue and several appeared undecided which told me that they probably wanted to turn back too. Since some of the party was not prepared for a 6 mile round trip hike, it was eventually decided that we'd best be turning back. I had a quiet sigh of relief but upheld my staunch look of hardiness.

Each van owner in their turn lurched, rocked and rolled their van's back and forth trying to avoid rocks and drop-offs so as not to incur undue harm to their beloved beasts. Eventually all vans were headed in the outward bound direction of the path.

The vans rambled along back through the rough terrain and again we had to traverse the soft sand of the wash-out that crossed the road. As we approached the drop-off, I was saying to David, "Maybe we should get out --". But half way through my sentence he already had the acce- lorator to the floor and we were in the sand and plowing to the other side. We lurched up the drop-off and were through the worst and on the other side. We cheered our success and urged the next van on. Each van in it's turn pounded into the sand and plowed forward. The '66 and the '81 both popped wheelies as they hit and roared forward. It was quite an exciting sight to see these beasts surge through the wash-out and come out unscathed.

After that the rest of the road was uneventful. We arrived at the entrance and we decided to leave a note for Dave Phillips. So the Schwarzmiester grabbed a piece of paper and wrote a quick note and appended it to a post at the road entry and we all hoped that Dave would spot it.

We decided to go to Randsburg for lunch and headed down the road. It was at this time that the Schwarzemiester enlightened us to the fact that he just discovered that we were on the wrong road to the tunnel. As the map was passed around we saw that the road we were on was marked as "bad", "very bad". For 4-wheel drives only. Only someone who drives a Safari VW could have not understood the maps meaning. We joked about it and said things like, "We're tough, We don't need no stinking Synchro's". But I knew in the back of everyones mind they were thinking, "Who is this leader that has taken us down this mysterious road?" "And to what purpose?"

As we came upon the real tunnel road with an obvious sign that said there was a tunnel to be seen, we entered and had a short conference as to whether we should go in or do lunch. The majority was for the tunnel. So we entered the road, not knowing what strange fate awaited us. A groan at the pit of my stomach escaped and I wasn't sure if it was for hunger or fear. And what about Dave Phillips? How would he find us? Or would he even show up at all? And what of Alice Gibb and Larry McPhee? Were they part of this bizarre plan? I couldn't tell and could only proceed with caution and apprehension. Nothing could prepare me for the fate that awaited me.

To be continued.........

Steven

sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com