Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Apr 1995 16:51:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Chris Venema <cvenema@comp.uark.edu>
Subject:      Re: '71 Van Transmission Stuff

HI you guys. I noticed there are two posts about the '71 tranny. First, Jim Brill asked what can you do when the engine is out... Not that much that you can't do with the engine IN, really... Just check the TO bearing for roughness when a little pressure is applied (by hand), and look at those two little clips that hold it on for wear. It's also a good time to check your clutch cable and starter wires while you can actually see what you're doing. Also a good time to change the fluid. I used one can of SlickXX and the rest was gear oil. It's kinda hard to get in there to the place where you put it in when everything is installed. Have you figured out how to get the plug out? Use a bolt with a 15(?)mm head on it with two nuts jammed together at the other end. Tim Smith's hard to shift bus... I was having similar problems with '71 camper, Otto. I found that under the shifter, accessed beneath the bus, there is a little bar that holds the shifter bar that goes to the tranny. If that is bent down just a little, you will experience some of that reverse gear phenomenon. You can tap on it with a small hammer to bend it back up. EASY DOES IT! Problem with shifting into 1st and 2nd is probably indicative of a clutch cable problem. Either it needs to be adjusted (shortened) or it is stretching (breaking). You just don't notice it in 3rd or 4th 'cause you are 'speed shifting', and clutching is minimal. Ok, Jim...do I qualify for a ride around the block now? I know exactly what you mean. My dog and I go on a 'test drive' every time I change a light bulb or adjust the mirrors! I have got a BAD case of VW BUS FEVER! I further believe that my dog (Sam) also has the Fever; He would LIVE in the bus if I'd let him. Both of us can hear an air cooled engine a mile away.

Happy Motoring Chris '71 Camper and an assortment of Beetles