Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Apr 1995 09:02:26 -0400
From:         "David Easterwood" <deasterw@st6000.sct.edu>
Subject:      Bus Vulture stalks another victim

Well today I am off on a safari to deepest darkest Alabama in search of a '59 Westfalia. Got a lead on it a little over a week ago and sent a friend in Huntsville over to take a look at it for me. Report came back that it looked good (almost totally rust free). My friend got the guy's phone number & sent it to me.

I call the guy several times & finally get in touch with him. He says it is in good shape minus engine. I ask questions to make sure it has the wood cabinets with brass trim & the submarine hatch. I ask him what he wants for it & he comes back with a very reasonable price. But there's a catch.

Someone else put down $50 for him to hold it. DAMN! Well last night I decided I WANT THAT BUS! Being a true believer in the old addage, "money talks, bullshit walks" I call the guy up & tell him I get paid tomorrow & I want to come Friday, cash in hand, to buy the Westy. He says "well it has been a couple of months. Let me see if I can get ahold of the guy".

Well he calls back late last night and explained the deal. The other guy was supposed to pay him off when he got his tax refund. He's already blown the money the money from his refund & can't come up with the money this weekend so it's mine if I want it.

So after lunch today I am heading off to Alabama & if it's half as nice as he says it is, I'll be pulling it home tonight. So Joel, if you're on 278 tonight & see a chrome yellow '77 Westy pulling a dove blue '59 Westy, be sure to wave. I promise I'll wave back.

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------------------- * 59 Dbl Dr Walk-Thru Panel Dave Easterwood * * 59 & 61 Single Cab Pickups deasterw@st6000.sct.edu * * 66 Westfalia * * 66 Hardtop & Sunroof Deluxe Buses 61 Deluxe Beetle * * 73 & 77 Westfalias 69 Rust Bug * * 74 Thing 64 Type 34 Karmann Ghia * -----------------------------------------------------------------------