Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Apr 1995 15:15:17 +0100 (BST)
From:         "M.Grant" <mty016@coventry.ac.uk>
Subject:      Re: Poor shifting in '71 bus (longish)

On Thu, 27 Apr 1995, Steve Maher wrote: > > Does this mean that decent shifting is actually possible on a VW bus older > than my wife? How does one achieve this? Do I need a new tranny, or is > there some sort of linkage-rebuild I can do, that will _significantly_ > improve the shifter feel?

When I got my '70, the push down for reverse had also gone. On examination of the plate that sits under the gear stick, I found that the small piece of metal (looks like a tiny bit of angle iron) that runs across the hole in the plate had rusted right away. The idea is that pushing the gear stick down allows it to clear the `angle iron' bit and so into reverse. If the bit isn't there it can be slid into reverse rather to easily. When I first got the bus I was forever starting off in the wrong direction! So I replaced that plate. Problem solved.

The biggest difference on these busses to the general `stiring soup' gear change, can be made by replacing the gear shift linkage thing that sits over the gearbox. Its a small metal cage with rubber blocks on each side. Over the years the rubber tends to wear resulting in incresingly sloppy gear changing. Obviously check it first to see if that is the problem but replacement of this cage normally helps tighten the feel of the box. Its a fairly fiddly process and lots of swearing and bruised knuckles will occur.

The only other thing I've tried with on a couple of busses, was to remove the gear stick and check the little spring loaded pin that sits in the ball on the bottom. A couple of times I've found that the pin has seized into the hole, either through lack of lubrication or because the spring has broken. Clearing off the old grease and making sure its all working properly before reagreasing and assembly can make some difference, although not as much as replacing the gear shift linkage.

(After replacing the gearstick and plate you will probably find it all needs adjusment, as moving the plate changes the angle the stick sits at slightly).

> P.S. That '70 bus also had noticably lighter steering than my '71. Anyone > care to guess the cause? I'm mystified. The '70 is not "immaculate" by any > means-- my '71 is far prettier. But the '71 takes both hands to get around > corners at low speeds. The '70 stomps it in drivability, despite having half > a turn of play in the steering wheel. > Strange I always found it the other way round; the earlier style steering box as fitted to my '70 (complete with half a turn of play) is quite heavy when compared to the later (71 and on?) style box. Some where in the murky depths of my brain, I seem to remember having read that the later box was designed to give lighter steering, but I'll have to search around to find the source.

cheers Marcus '70 bus

__ Marcus Grant mty016@uk.ac.cov