Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Apr 95 20:54:37 EDT
From:         ja@decws3.coe.wvu.edu (John Anderson)
Subject:      Bus A/C

Roving through the junkyard had me wondering about a lot of things today. My next question is when did they switch from the under the dash vented dealer installed A/C system to the roof mounted similar to pre '86 Vanagon style unit. A '73 I briefly owned had the under the dash unit, the Bus was from Arizona and also oddly enough had the sunroof and a gas heater, Type IV engine but early bodywork. A '79 I saw in the yard had the Vanagon style unit and was complete except for the compressor which had gone with the engine apparently. I wonder because this would be really cool (bad pun) in my Westy. Now I realize I don't have nearly the power to run it with the stock 1600 but I plan to later go to a 1776 or maybe even slightly larger powerplant and as the system is available now cheap as the Bus was about to be crushed with it in place I need to know. I was figuring about seeing what that company I.C.E in Hot VW's offers in the way of compressors and mounts to fit on the upright engine but intended to use the stock front mounted evaporator and condenser units off the '79 for a finished look. Did dealers ever put A/C in a Bus camper, does anybody have one? Any opinions as to how it would fit against the paneled headliner? Is it just a ridiculous idea anyway? The guy said he sold the engine quite recently so the system and lines might not be too corroded at the moment, everything looked pretty clean in fact, the Bus was from FL and was junked from taking a nasty side hit. Anyway any words of wisdom would be appreciated, I'm not looking to turn the camper into a walk-in cooler just to be able to get the occasional 90 degree day down to the mid to high 70's would be as good as our '86 was ever able to manage.

John Anderson ja@coe.wvu.edu '71 Westy, '90 Corrado G60