Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Apr 95 9:14:42 MST
From:         todds@sonny.chotel.com
Subject:      Campmobile back on line....

G'day, eh?

Wanted to let you know that the Campmobile is back on the road today after a hiatus since last Wednesday due to broken rear carrier bolts. Pulled the thing home from work on Saturday, and was pleasantly surprised to find the bolt stubs rather loose in the case, so tapping them out was no problem. Spent most of Saturday afternoon looking for a new breast plate, isasmuch as the old one had been rather squashed between the rear carrier and the crank pulley. Not being sucessful, I hammered out the old one and it seems servicible in the short run, anyway. Sunday I spent with the family (my SO is getting tired of weekends planned around working on the bus, and for once I agree). Monday evening was spent putting the exhaust and rear apron back on. The drive to work this morning was enlivened by the driver hanging his nose out the window trying to determine whether that burning smell was just hand oils burning off the extractor or something more sinister (the thing announced that the last mounting bolt had broken by burning the fan belt). So far, so good!

Can anyone come up with a source for a post-68 breast plate? The catalogs have the pre-68's (smaller and squarer on the right side) but no later ones, and the the junkyards I visited had the small ones as well, but no late ones. I'd be willing to trade a 10mm 8.8 bolt for it (I bought three before realizing the lower one was 8mm).

As the guys at Esso used to say....Happy Motoring! -- Todd R. Schroeder | Without vision, a people perish. todds@sunnet.chotel.com | Proverbs xxix:18 '71 Campmobile