Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Apr 1995 09:55:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@superc.nosc.mil>
Subject:      [F] Re: Red Rock Trip Report Part 3 - Shake, Rattle & Roll

Steve Johnson writes: > > Meanwhile the Schwarzemiester came running up to my van as I > was obviously driving up from the "in" direction he asked "Wait, > where are you going?"

doh. > He wanted to know if I wanted to go on > an excursion to a local mining tunnel that was in the area and > assured me that it wasn't that far and we'd all get there in the > vans and then go to Randsburg for lunch. I told him I was game > for the trip. I should've paid better attention to the little tune > playing in the back ground of my mind. It was playing a little melody > with a male duo singing something about a tour boat going out on > a three hour tour.

DOH!

> We rambled out onto the highway and headed south on 14. As we were > high-tailing it along Schwarzemiester thought he spotted one of our > party on a bicycle going in the opposite direction. I figured this > could be one of the Schwarzemiester's delusions...

DOH!!!!!

> As the gap narrowed the cyclist finally gave up the ghost and slowed > down. The Scharzemiester applied the brakes and pulled over and > nearly side swiped the cyclist.

DOH!!!!!!!!!!! > > We took a turn at a road with a sign that pointed the direction > to Randsburg and traveled the road for a few miles. Schwarzemiester > made a turn on to a gravel road and stated that this was surely > the road to the tunnel that was our goal. We all trusted his > judgement as he had been there before.

uhhh...

> We treked through some more rugged terrain and then we found ourselves > driving down a washout. Bewildered, the Schwarzemiester was at a loss > as to where we were although he kept up the pretense that the sought > after tunnel was just around the next bend.

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > > While in the middle of the wash-out we were traversing rocks and > decided it was time to stop and and send scouts to see what was > ahead before going any further.

> We decided to go to Randsburg for lunch and headed down the road. > It was at this time that the Schwarzemiester enlightened us to the > fact that he just discovered that we were on the wrong road to the > tunnel.

> As the map was passed around we saw that the road we were > on was marked as "bad", "very bad". For 4-wheel drives only. Only > someone who drives a Safari VW could have not understood the maps > meaning.

> We joked about it and said things like, "We're tough, We don't > need no stinking Synchro's". But I knew in the back of everyones > mind they were thinking, "Who is this leader that has taken us down > this mysterious road?" "And to what purpose?"

Ummm... yeah. I wanted to separate the "men from the boys", so to speak. After that experience, Martha asked me, "That was great! So when are we gonna drive to the North Pole? I'm ready!", while Steve said something like, "I want my mommy". Heh heh...

Nice story though, Steve. :)

-David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) San Diego, California '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) schwarze@nosc.mil http://papaya.nosc.mil/~schwarze =============================================================================