Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         1 Apr 95 12:05:08 EDT
From:         Jon Peters/UB Networks <Jon_Peters@UB.com>
Subject:      Re: Whistle sound--Gland nut??

Dave,

I am NOT an expert with Mustangs, but I do know that the T/O bearing is NOT SPINNING in a TI/TII configuration, UNTIL the clutch pedal is depressed... When the clutch pedal is depressed, it puts tension on the clutch cable, which in turn, pulls the lever attached to the T/O bearing forks, which, in turn, presses the T/O bearing against the pressure plate ring (or fingers), thus releasing the clutch disk.... When the clutch is disengaged in a TI/TII, the T/O bearing does not spin as it is hanging on a set of forks and does not engage the output shaft from the tranny. It is entirely possible that the Mustang T/O bearing spins w/ the output shaft, unlike VWs, thus creating the bearing noise you had to repair in your Mustang.

I've been wrenching on these puppies (TI/TII) for over 25 years and have NEVER heard a T/O bearing make noise without having pressure applied to it via the clutch pedal. I have, however, had a number of trannies that have final drive/input carrier bearing noise as they get worn.... Another potential area is the Ring & Pinion carrier.... when the tranny gets worn, the backlash setting gets out of whack and you get gear noise from the R&P...... JMHO

Jon 1950 DeLuxe Beetle 1958 Karmann Ghia Coupe' 1959 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet 1960 Beetle Cabriolet 1971 (Original Owner) Super Beetle 1986 Jetta GL 1990 Syncro Westfalia Jon Peters/UB Networks writes: > > I beg to differ on that point... when you push the clutch in, you take the >load off of the input shaft of the tranny. Once the load is off of the tranny > input shaft, it stops making noise. On the other hand, if the T/O bearing is > going out, the noise only occurs when you disengage the clutch (push the > clutch pedal in). > > I still stand by my original diagnosis of the input shaft carrier bearing > being worn!!

Jon, I beg to differ. :) My mustang has a sqeaky throwout bearing which, under no load (i.e. pedal OUT) whistles annoyingly. When I push the pedal in a little, the load that is put on the throwout bearing quiets it. I did the clutch replacement myself, and am very familiar with how things operate down there. FYI, the throwout bearing was a low-bid item bought at auto parts club. Next time I'm going Napa.

I'm not trying to say that your diagnosis of the input shaft carrier bearing is wrong, simply that there are other likely possibilities.

One more thing, there should never be any load on the input shaft of the transmission (only torque applied to it).

-David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) San Diego, California '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) schwarze@nosc.mil http://papaya.nosc.mil/~schwarze =============================================================================