Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Apr 1995 16:11:21 -0400
From:         drew@interport.net (Derek Drew)
Subject:      Delta Six/Camper Parts

I called Delta Six Industries today to order spare skylights.

You all know Delta Six is the supplier to VW of most of the campmobile parts for our vans. Delta six bought these parts in the USA and sent them to Europe where Westfalia put them on the vehicles before they were shipped here new.

Anyway, I think (hope) that everybody knows never to order any campmobile parts from a VW dealer but rather to order them from a local RV place, from Camping World (Bowling Green, Kentucky) or from Delta Six.

Anyway, I got the real story on Delta Six today and why they now call it Euro-American now.

It seems that the company used to be run by a guy named Pete who selected these parts for Westfalia. He turn turned the company over to a very elderly gentleman and a born-again christian woman. (I remember a couple of years ago ordering stuff from this woman, by the way.) Anyway, apparantly the woman was ripping the elderly guy off and embezzling funds and as of this writing is sitting in jail. Pete took the business over again, and now they call it European American. Delta Six still exists for tax reasons but isn't servicing VW Van owners any more.

Pete sounded glad to be in charge of the business again and lamented that the woman had not got a good dozen years jail time. Euro American still uses the same phone number that Delta Six used to use.

Pete sounded happy that a new edition of the parts catalog that he publishes is due from the printers this friday. This catalog is really nothing more than a printout of the relavant parts fiche pages.

I asked Pete whether he was going to lose interest in the business since it depends on VW Van owners knowing him whereas most have no way of contacting him. He said this wasn't the case, as 99% of his business was selling directly to VW and VW's dealer network.

Anyway, he quoted me $97 for the skylight hatch so I bought three of them for myself, intending to put two of them in the attick and one on my van.

I complained to Pete about the fact that these skylights fail so regularly after a few years of use and he admitted this was a problem. But he said he instructed the manufacturer to add in some compound--DBLAHBLAH, or something--which would enable the skylights to las longer from now on. He said he had sold out of the entire stock of the earlier, inferior, skylights and was selling the newer, upgraded skylights from now on.

I noticed an ad in European Car for some place with a similar name selling the skylights for $130 so $97 seems like a good price. And the dealers charge about $180 or even more.

I had been planning to organize a mass order of the skylights--he said I could have them for $85 if I ordered 25 of them. But I judged the bother of organizing this with our list members not worth the trouble to save $12 minus shipping. so I am just passing on here what I learned.

90 syncro westy Derek Drew drew@interport.net (preferred) DerekDrew@aol.com (if interport is down)