Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Apr 1995 08:31:37 -0400
From:         KevinM9696@aol.com
Subject:      Things that make you go "Hmmmm"

A fellow stopped by here yesterday (seeing the assortment in my yard) and asked what "He should look for when buying a bus" as he was in the market for a P-van/camper/bus and was comparison shopping.

I sent him off on his merry way after expounding on the benefits to be gained by adding any breadloaf to his family tree.

His question brought up another question though. After rifling the archives, and digging back through voluminous posts I failed to find a FAQ on common ailments and/or "potential pitfalls" which most of us VolksFolks have faced at one time or another.

I certainly don't want to cast negative aspersions on my favorite money pit, but thought a FAQ of this sort would perhaps serve as a helpful checklist next time we find that "Buy of a lifetime".

A few minor observations on a major subject:

BODY/Cosmetic Floor pans by the wheel wells go all too quickly! Metal under the accellerator gets soft/rots causing doorhinge surgery! Splities & Breadloafs rot windshield frames quicker than instant soup! Battery trays disintegrate, Wolfsburg replacement tin doesn't fit...

ENGINE/Drivetrain Jumps out of gear, time for a rebuild Lose reverse, park in open spaces Front seals always go AFTER you reinstall engine

There's actually scads more, and lot's I haven't thought/heard of anybody care to add NetWisdom? Kevin Murray -FEETSFirst Films

1965 SingleCab (FS 3000.00 obo) 1967 Panel Bus (FS 400.00 obo) 1969 Beetle 1969 Beetle 1972 Busto-Westie 1974 412 Station Wagon 1976 Rabbit LS (FS 300.00 obo)