Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Apr 1995 13:36:54 +0200 (SAT)
From:         Wouter de Waal <wrm@aztec.co.za>
Subject:      5 cyls, starters

There seems to have been lots of interest in 5 cylinder Vanagons. I Didn't realise you don't get them there. But then again, we have one of the largest VW factories in the world, I guess...

A Bently manual for the 5 cyl? Whew! I wonder whether that would exist, if the 5 cyl Vanagon is only available locally. Will try to check.

Derek the hoss trader said something like ~> 1990 4x4 Synchro Transporter / Caravelle (Kombi?) Yea, we have "4x4 Synchro Caravelle"s. But you would say "My dad bought a new Kombi". What's the term for that? Like "hoovering" the carpet? Anyway, Derek, I'll see. I assume this is the 2.1i wasserboxer, I think the 5 cyl came later. Remember that the 1990 model could be fairly different here & over there. (Later) I phoned the local agents, they get the parts fiche from the factory. Not for sale. _Might_ be able to sell me an "old" one. What would the "repair fiche" be, or ar we talking about the same thing?

5 Cyl Diesel? Now _there's_ an idea. Diesel passenger cars are not common, due to government interference / control / big brother / whatever. Long story. So I didn't even know that there's a 5 cyl Audi diesel. Always liked the Mercedes 300D though :) BTW somebody said

> 5. A free oil stain on your driveway.

Hey! I have one of those already! :)

OK - so you want to stick an Audi 5 cyl in your Vanagon. My father had that done, his 1800 wasserboxer POS fell over somewhere in Namaqualand. Got the adaptor plate from the factory (i.e. VW Uitenhage). Used the same 'box. He used a 2.2l carb engine from an Audi, not the newer 2.5 / 2.6 i engine. There's still a vibration that he lives with, but I'm not happy with. Might be an alignment problem. Otherwise, I don't think there are any funnies. If somebody is _really_ interested (i.e. will pay :-) I can find out more....

On another thread, I wouldn't worry about frying the starter motor when using more batteries. Net.wisdom is that, when you swap your 6V setup for 12V, you can continue using the 6V starter. Apparently swings the engine quite fast :)