Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Apr 1995 12:14:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:         James Cook <jcook@netcom.com>
Subject:      Recall / Heads??

I wonder if their has been any recall or tech bulletin or other unusual policies or offers by VW regarding heads, because:

My local VW dealer service dept. just determined that my head gaskets are goners, and are checking for any related problems, like condition of the heads now. Interestingly, they offered to contact VW regarding having them pay for 50% to 80% of my costs on this problem. I appreciate their offer but now wonder if they're doing it because of some problem or obligation they're aware of or if I'm sort of a special case.

Problem:

Recently I had a temp light and gauge start maxing out, suggesting overheating. Initially coolant levels looked fine. A few days later I had very thick smoke coming out of the 1985 Westy with a water vapor odor. At that point, there was zero fluid in the refill and expansion tanks. This was refilled without following the tilting guidelines and phosphate free admonitions. When I learned of these I had the dealership tow the vehicle in to give it a proper check (hopefully).

I understand that it's possible that overheating may have damaged or warped the heads and gaskets in the process of releasing the smoke/steam. The heads were replaced two to three years ago. My mileage was about 133,000 at the time the heads were fixed, and ais about 155,000 now. This seemed to be a factor in the Vw dealer's decision to seek from VW an offer to pay a portion of the costs.

Is this standard procedure? What guidelines govern their policy as to how much VW will pay for variouos things? Do they actually owe more for any reason?

TIA

James Cook 1985 Westphalia San Francisco Bay Area