Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Apr 1995 13:27:07 -0600 (MDT)
From:         Dave Black <dblack@argus.lowell.edu>
Subject:      talk me outta this...

I am *this* close to putting my Westy up for sale.

This afternoon, it sits in my driveway, dead, once again!

It's got maybe 200 miles on the engine. This morning, I was headed up Oak Creek Canyon to work, and the rat-a-tat noise I've been whining about for the last 3 months started fading away, until I actually could not hear it over the wind noise (a very nice day in the canyon!). Man, I was happy! I figured whatever it was must have wore itself down to the point where it didn't make any more noise. I was going to check the oil at work for any metal pieces/shavings, then I was sure to be home free! BUT, as I started down shifting to start the climb out of the canyon to the rim above, the noise suddenly returned with a vengence! Clackety-clackety-clack! I zipped into a turnout and turned the key off, and as it wound down, I could hear a sound like that of two gears trying to mesh unsuccesfully (like when you accidently shift into reverse at 40mph; 'cmon, you know what I mean!). I got out and popped off one valve cover, and while turning the crank with a wrench, I see NO valve train movement!! It appears that the crank no longer turns the cam. Broken cam gear? Broken cam? I don't know. Maybe I don't even want to know. For the right price, I could easily be persuaded to join the ranks of the bus wanna-be's!

For this week only, members of this list could get a very clean, '71 pop-top Westfalia, with a new (refurbished) top, new canvas, new tires, not much rust (CA car, don't ya know), new non-running engine (FWIW), for say, $1300.

DON'T make me an offer!!!

Dave '71 Westfalia & SB