Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 05 Apr 95 15:59:37 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Recall procedures for consumers

On Wed, 5 Apr 95 15:05:19 CDT James Cook said: >I'm wondering how to utilize the recall info. in the list archives. There >are a number of terms I'm not familiar with, and I'm not really familar >with the process or procedures of recalls. Like, How do we determine when

a recall is a government mandated program to fix a problem on a certain car. the manufacturer has to exert a "reasonable" effort to contact all purchasers of those cars (notice the big mess on the voluntary Chrysler recall of their minivans, for the rear hatch lock, going on now: big tv ads). now, even if you bought yours used, vw still has to perform the recall IF it was not already done to that vehicle.

>our particular vehicle was built.... within a given year, how do we know >if our particular vehicle is subject to a recall notice, and does either >the dealer or Vw America have a firm duty to fix the problem or is it >elective on their side? What if we weren't contacted ever about a problem >seemingly mentioned in the recall bullentins of the archive?

the VIN is the key. the recall program will specify which VINs are subject to needing the recall (usually cause they "fixed" the problem in the assembly line at some point, and all vehicles after VIN xxx come from the factory with the "fix"). and yes, VWOA has a duty/obligation to fix the problem. it's not an elective. they must fix the VEHICLE. even if you were never contacted. some dealers, however, can be assholes about this, just as they can be about warranty work on a new car. so it pays to shop around for a dealer who is more willing.

>Below is a sample record applicable to the 1985 Westphalias (I presume) >which also is a problem I've experienced with the sliding passenger door. >No one from VW mentioned anything to me. Is it too late? Should they fix >it still?

if yours is in the VIN range, AND has not already been fixed (VW can tell, because the dealers are supposed to send some paperwork back about which ones were fixed). you can call that NHTSA 800-number and get the paperwork on your year/model. you will also get a little postcard that you mail to VW with your VIN, and VW has to respond about ALL recalls on your car (whether or not they apply to your VIN, and whether or not they have been applied). there is also supposed to be some sort of sticker label/decal placed on the car AND in the owner's manual concerning any recalls performed on the car.

>1985 Vanagon Built from 1984 Jul to 1985 May > Campaign 85V152000 No. Recalled: 16,328

check your driver's door info sticker for the date manufactured on your car.

> System: Door Look. > Vehicle Description: Van-type Wagon and Campers. > Description of Defect: The latch of the passenger sliding door may > become damaged if excessive force is used > to close the door. The damaged door lock

cheap part used on the BACK side latching mechanism. simple fix with the part. unless your door is prone to popping open, you've likely got the fix (unless the bozos at the "fixing" dealer screwed up the alignment of the door! which they shouldn't have even touched). but check the VW and NHTSA sources anyway. any and all paperwork that says you do or do not have or had something is good to have. :)

joel