Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Apr 1995 23:42:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:         william killian <killian@gcr.com>
Subject:      Re: GNATT, EASTERN LEG

On Wed, 5 Apr 1995, John Anderson wrote:

> To keep the tour together even longer on my proposed route, we > could have everone caravan out of St Louis on 50, we all head down > Skyline Drive into Shenandoah, everyone hits I64 down to Newport > News/Norfolk then northerners split up the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel > into Maryland and any all points north, the southerners split down > the Outer Banks, we all stay together a good long time, and people > simply drop off as they reach their homes. Actually the mideast people > will be most inconvenienced as they will have to loop back to their > homes whichever way they go (myself included) > > Just my ramblings as usual > John Anderson > ja@coe.wvu.edu > '71 Westy, '90 Corrado G60 > (lets see if I take the Corrado and a tent I can get back at 90 mph) > Just being a touch picky (It is the town I grew up in) Waynesboro is the town where the Skyline Drive meets I64 (Okay really it's Afton). I actually prefer the Blue Ridge Parkway which is the Skyline Drive continuing south of I64. The skyline drive is in Shenadoah National PArk which has cost disadvantages. There are several really interesting stops on the Parkway - Raven's Roost, Peaks of Otter, ... It would be possible to take the Parkway all the way to the Smokies. I64 to the Cheasapeake is BORING. Once you pass Charlottesville it is nothingness. A more intersting route might be to take 460 (think I got the right number) across the bottom of Virginia from Roanoke to Norfolk.

It might be interesting to creep up the Bay side of the DelMarVa Penn. to DC then skip over to Bal'mere before heading north.

What criteria should be used to choose a route? The Parkway is hilly but I've been up and down it in both a '69 and a '72 Westy when I was a kid.

bill killian '93 EV MV '73 Thing