Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Apr 1995 20:52:01 -0800 (PST)
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@io.nosc.mil>
Subject:      Re: Whistle sound--Gland nut??f

Jon Peters/UB Networks writes: > > I am NOT an expert with Mustangs, but I do know that the T/O bearing is NOT > SPINNING in a TI/TII configuration, UNTIL the clutch pedal is depressed...

Ideally, no. In actuality (at least in the Mustang) there is nothing that pulls the t/o bearing off of the pressure plate when the pedal is not depressed, and it tends to rest against the pressure plate and turn, without being under any real load.

> When the clutch pedal is depressed, it puts tension on the clutch cable, which > in turn, pulls the lever attached to the T/O bearing forks, which, in turn, > presses the T/O bearing against the pressure plate ring (or fingers), thus > releasing the clutch disk.... When the clutch is disengaged in a TI/TII, the > T/O bearing does not spin as it is hanging on a set of forks and does not > engage the output shaft from the tranny. It is entirely possible that the > Mustang T/O bearing spins w/ the output shaft, unlike VWs, thus creating the > bearing noise you had to repair in your Mustang.

No, the t/o doesn't spin with the output shaft in the Mustang. The two setups are very similar. As you know, the t/o bearing really has little to do with the tranny output shaft, except that the output shaft happens to pass through it. And I haven't repaired the Mustang yet, because I don't feel like dropping the transmission again, having just done it a few months ago.

> I've been wrenching on these puppies (TI/TII) for over 25 years and have NEVER > heard a T/O bearing make noise without having pressure applied to it via the > clutch pedal. I have, however, had a number of trannies that have final > drive/input carrier bearing noise as they get worn....

Well doggone, then you must be right, and I must be wrong. Okay everyone, let it be known that if you hear a squeaking noise, and it goes away when you press in the clutch, it is *not* the throwout bearing!!! :)

Seriously Jon, I'm not trying to discredit your years of experience with VWs, but give me a little credit too. I'll say it one more time - "I am only trying to suggest *another possible cause* for the noise. I am not saying that it is not the carrier bearing!".

-David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) San Diego, California '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) schwarze@nosc.mil http://papaya.nosc.mil/~schwarze =============================================================================