Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Apr 95 00:15:14 -0500
From:         Peter_H._Krogh@csgi.com (Peter H. Krogh)
Subject:      Leaky Heads Revenge

I have some hard info on the head fiasco, although I apologize for not being able to find my paperwork. If I run across it later I'll post it.

There is possible reimbursement from VW for the leaky head gaskets.

VW went to binding arbitration in the late eighties in lieu of (or maybe because of)a class action suit. It seemed that all the WC vanagons started leaking by 100,000 miles. Worse, an electrolytic action was pitting the heads at the gasket so deeply that they could not be machined and put back on. New gaskets are $1000 (around here, installed and warrantied), and new heads and gaskets was $2500. Ouch.

There is a mediation program available through VW usa (1-800-822-vwus) that follows their secret reimbursement plan. A friend of mine was reimbursed for a portion of his gasket replacement cost on one side(maybe %25), and the full gasket and head cost on the other side, where a small casting crack was discovered during repair. He had an 86 synchro with 82,000 miles on it, and it was 1989 when the engine failed.

My 1985 Camper head gaskets failed in 1990 at about 90,000 miles, and I had to replace both heads and gaskets. By the way, NEVER OVERHEAT THE BUS! STOP DRIVING IMMEDIATELY! I saved my block this way. Anyway, I got the documentation from VW but was discouraged from expecting response because of the high mileage. I never sent it in. In retrospect, I should have followed through, which is why I'm writing this to you...

If you run into this problem, or have recently had it, call 800-822-VWUS and ask for customer service and the arbitration claim forms. Do not let them tell you that they don't know what you're talking about. A dealer cannot help you, but it helps, for reimbursement purposes, to have had the work done at a dealer.

They will ask for all pertinent records (reciept for repair performed, possibly service records). It may void the warranty to use non-VW antifreeze in the bus. Standard antifreeze is supposed to be corrosive to the Vanagon Waterboxer. Don't use it. Don't tell 'em you did. (Maybe somebody here can enlighten us on this point.)

For those of you who have read this far, a survey. Howabout a post about the history of your leaky (or for the lucky, non-leaky) waterboxer. May I suggest this form. Subject: '85 Took a leak at 90,000 12/90 In the body copy, be sure to include present mileage, and any subsequent head/gasket replacement.

Fukengruven,

Peter 85 Westfalia, 72 Combi before that

--

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Sent via digitalNATION the premier FirstClass System (703) 642.0453

digitalNATION access provided by Computer Services Group, Inc. a World Wide Web and Internet Access Provider Phone: (703) 642.2800 or email sales@csgi.com for info -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-