Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Apr 1995 00:49:27 -0500 (EDT)
From:         ringo@spike.aerodyne.com (Chris Getschow)
Subject:      Re: 85 Vanagon starts hard

> > On Thu, 6 Apr 95 18:51:14 CDT I complained (abridged by Joel): > >My '85 Vanagon has trouble getting started. Here's the scenario: > <snip> > >depressing the accelerator when the engine catches and then driving away > >immediately. The engine runs rough for a couple minutes while I'm driving > >(in a low gear) but then runs smoothly thereafter. I can smell gas when I'm > >backing out of the driveway. > >first or second try. The second is that there's something screwed up in the > >FI system that's causing the starting mixture to be richer the colder it gets

And Joel wisely replied: > > i think you are onto the culprit, but have some "facts" wrong ... imho it's > the coolant temp sensor gone bad or the wiring/ground associated with it. > it sounds to me like the computer is NOT adding the necessary extra gas to > "choke" the car when cold ... so the engine runs, but dies. then you have to > literally flood the car to get it running. that's the gas you smell when you > get it running.

I *like* this interpretation! My only problem with it is that I believe the coolant temp sensor and its wiring to be ok so I'm looking for another root cause. The reason I trust the sensor is that I was able to get the bus into the garage tonight and performed some of the electrical checks in the Bentley manual (page 24.20). I measured the resistance of temp sensor II *at the computer connector* (pins 2 & 7) to be 4500 ohms. According to the graph on page 24.19 that corresponds roughly to a temp of 5C. Guess what the temp was in my garage: right around there.

I *did* notice that resistance across the throttle valve switch terminals was open-circuit at the idle stop. According to Bentley (24.35) this should be zero ohms. I measured zero ohms at the full-throttle stop, but not at the idle stop. Is it possible that I neglected something in making the measurement or is this a real live data point?

The only other abnormal thing I noticed was that the tube leading from the oil breather to the air cleaner was both collapsed upon itself and ruptured. I can't figure how this enters into the problem but thought I'd mention it....

I'm a little perturbed that I see in Bentley's FI chapter a section on air-cooled engines, one on Digijet, and one on Digifant -- but then there are a couple pages on 1985 Digijet! So I got stuck with a transitional year; bummer.

Joel also sez: > check the connections first ... it might just be a loose wire.

This is truly sage advice in any case. It applies equally well to making test measurements. And it's SO easy to forget. I do however have a story (non-VW) about a situation in which I insisted on checking every connection in the tail-light circuit of a 1978 Olds Cutlass ("there's *got* to be an open circuit here somewhere!") when my then-girlfriend had suggested: "maybe the light bulbs (6 of them) are just burned out!" guess who was right (grrrrr....) I married her, of course.

-- Chris Getschow (getschow@an.hp.com, ringo@aerodyne.com) Bedford, MA '85 Vanagon GL