Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Apr 1995 19:02:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti>
Subject:      Re: 85 Vanagon starts hard

On Fri, 7 Apr 1995, Terry Tan wrote: > >From my own analysis I think there is something in the hydraulics > that is not working right. > > vehicle will shift smoothly when cold but when riding for > say half an hour or so it gets difficult to shift the gears. This is > an indication that somewhere in the hydraulics some kind of expansion has > occurred reducing the clutch travel.

Yup. Mine does that. I replaced the clutch in December, but I haven't driven it any distance since. On one 45 minutes trip I notcied that it still get's a little tough to get it OUT of gear after having been driven for a while on the freeway. This does NOT happen in town no matter how long it gets driven. It only happens at freeway speeds. I've not tried to figure out exactly why it's going wrong. We're going down to Chicago at the end of this month (From Minnesota) so I'll find out if it's really bad still. I've always assumed it was linkage problems because I KNOW I've got some seriously worn parts that are not cheap in there.

-- Gerry Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@med.umn.edu> U of MN Med School Admin 6-5379