Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Apr 1995 22:26:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Thom Fitzpatrick" <thom@tim.com>
Subject:      '56 kombi update - more bodywork

Lo,

Well tonight I spent some more time on the bodywork, smoothing out the cargo doors and the front doors, and the passenger side rocker. I then shot a coat of Prima on it...

I would recommend to anyone that wants to paint their own car, and is new to it, to put on several coats of primer/sealer to learn how to use the gun.

This gun I'm using is fairly new, although I'm thinking about ditching it already. I keep having problems with air/paint flow. Last time I had something wrong, and ended up with sandpaper looking bumps in spots. When I cleaned the gun last time, I noticed that a couple pieces were loose, and I made a point to make sure they were tight this time. I set the colume screw in the exact same place, and I got runs this time, which I guess would be consideered the opposite of the dry spots! At least I'm learning with _relatively_ cheap primer. I have to sand and use some glazing putty in some spots anyway, so the runs aren't stressing me out too bad...

Anyone ever use an Astro paint gun? They're s'posed to be pretty good for the price. I have an Alltrade right now, which is either not a very good gun or I'm not a very good painter. Prolly some of each... Anyway, I can get a new Astro (which I saw featured in my Body&Paint book) for $45. It looked like it was made much better than the one I have now...

Also, any opinions on HVLP? A buddy of mine has access to one, and I might be able to talk him into lettin' me use it. Remember, I'm using PPG Deltron Base/Clear system, prolly with DAU clear or Concept 2000 clear.

Thom -- > Don't eat yellow snow. ............................................................................ : Thom Fitzpatrick Transamerica Info Mgmnt : : Systems Administrator 1860 Howe Ave : : tfitzpatrick@tim.com Sacramento, CA 95825 : : fax (916) 921-6781 (916) 565-3346 : ............................................................................