Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 09 Apr 1995 16:33:02 PDT
From:         Josh Poulson <jrp@plaza.ds.adp.com>
Subject:      [/f] Re: Verbiage and Language on The List Mail

> There were messages I did not consider appropriate, even with the (f) symbol in view.

I admit I talk about computers too much.

> The language and the gender insult(s) are a bit much.

I admit I do not like COBOL either.

> Call me a prude in this instance and I'll accept the label.

Nah. "prude" is a term used to disparage people with different moral views. It is as much of an insult as "slut" is.

> I allow others in this office access to read this list. > My wife has access to my mail also.

That's all fine and dandy.

> While I'm showing others the spirit, creativity, cooperation and wit of the members, > I'd rather not have to be surprised and apologetic for something coming across that > has no relation to the world of VW and is also far off key for what should be expected > as open dialogue.

Once you advocate restraint, or enforce it, it can no longer be called "open dialogue". It becomes "moderated discussion" either if the authors moderate it, or someone else does.

That's the price that is paid for openness. One must be willing to accept that occasionally someone unexpected or unwanted might be available.

I, too, thought that the message to which I think you are referring was a little over the top. I just forwarded it to my local smut list and forgot about it. My adice is to just ignore it and it won't be a problem. After all, it's hardly indicative of the average posting to the list.

------------ Joshua R. Poulson, Systems Engineering, ADP Dealer Services, Portland, OR