Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Apr 95 12:49:29 PDT
From:         Nick Pace <nickpace@rand.org>
Subject:      VW-'71 BUS and '80? BUS-INTERSPECIES TRANSPLANTS OF EQUIPMENT

The Woman Of My Life, our '71 Bus and '78 Fiat 124, and all of our worldly possessions are moving this month to a house nearby (with a bigger garage for all of my VW and Fiat parts junk! Woopee!). A sure sign that we picked the right place is that the field in the back of the house has an abandoned pancake era Bus just sitting there waiting for some serious salvaging and parting out by me and at my leisure. Since this is at the beach, the rust problem is too serious to do anything to the hulk (and the engine, etc. condition too unknown) except to pull off possibly useful parts.

Unlike some purists, I frankly don't care if an item is of pure German stock from only the correct month and year of the original manufacturer. Hell, if it gets my Bus running after a mid-Mojave desert breakdown, I'd be happy to stick in a two-stroke leaf blower engine. You should have seen the howls of outrage when I casually mentioned on the Italian-Cars mailing list that I put in a $7 Pep Boys rearview mirror into my '78 Spider (thus replacing the broken original part that is "discounted" to only $69.95). Right now, there is so many Brazilian and Mexican engine parts on the 1600 Bus engine that if the ignition starts misfiring, it does so with a distinctly Latin beat.

Now I know that they transplanted a baboon's heart into a little girl's chest a few years ago. Ignoring for a moment that that particular experiment utimately, er, failed, I'd like to hear from those of you out there in the ether about your experiences putting stuff from post-upright/pre-Vanagon busses into the 68-71 version; to wit:

1) Putting that nice looking bumper from the junker in place of the horridly twisted one on my '71.

2) The difficulties involved in cutting the metal and re-doing the wiring in a replacement of the stock '71 tail and backup lights with the much safer rectangular version. I know it will look silly but here in L.A. it is nice to let the Porche screaming down the freeway at 110mph that you are going to make a lane change with a big, bright, DOT approved blinking light.

3) Whether the cables, seals, and other fittings from the center sunroof will work in the earlier Bus (sometime ago I had to yank all of the sunroof stuff on my Bus and turn it into a manual sliding roof. It works but.....).

4) Whether the door and window mechanisms are the same.

5) What is the purpose of the electrical fan/blower that is attached to the top of the engine compartment with two air hoses going to the sides of the engine? Is this some sort of heater fan assist? Is this the answer to my prayers for increase air flow to the heater boxes?

6) Whether the steering boxes are the same. How 'bout brake parts (master cylinder, booster, etc.)

7) Whether any other engine parts such as the distributor can be used.

8) Any other items I should pull. The landlord is eventually going to have it towed away and I don't want to beat myself for failing to get that critical part when I had a chance to do it for free.

Thanks for any advice. I'm not sure of the year but it does have an access panel over the engine.

Nick