Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Apr 95 18:52:46 EDT
From:         ja@decws3.coe.wvu.edu (John Anderson)
Subject:      Re: VW-'71 BUS and '80? BUS-INTERSPECIES TRANSPLANTS OF EQUIPMENT

Well I'll have a go at a few of these > > 1) Putting that nice looking bumper from the junker in place of the > horridly twisted one on my '71.

Don't know here, seems that even the rear mounting holes are different (of course the fronts are not compatible)

> 2) The difficulties involved in cutting the metal and re-doing the wiring > in a replacement of the stock '71 tail and backup lights with the much > safer rectangular version. I know it will look silly but here in L.A. it > is nice to let the Porche screaming down the freeway at 110mph that you > are going to make a lane change with a big, bright, DOT approved blinking > light.

Funny I've seen people go the other way, should be easy enough if you really wanted to but they won't have the inset look of the later bus, you could though just cut the hole and pu it in wiring the blinker to the previous systems wire to the blinker filament, of course Euro buses had amber and red lenses in '71 small and probably expensive but easier.

> 3) Whether the cables, seals, and other fittings from the center sunroof > will work in the earlier Bus (sometime ago I had to yank all of the > sunroof stuff on my Bus and turn it into a manual sliding roof. It works > but.....). > ? > 4) Whether the door and window mechanisms are the same. > Some are, some are not, sliding door lock mechanism changed but may be compatible as a whole, front door locks changed but may also be compatible, I have used a '73 with levers in door handles retrofited into my '76 with the pulls on the sill. Front window winders will probably work though the later bus lacks the rear window felt channel deleted in '73 or '74, if its got good vent windows front and rear snag em definitely. all glass should be similar.

> 5) What is the purpose of the electrical fan/blower that is attached to > the top of the engine compartment with two air hoses going to the sides of > the engine? Is this some sort of heater fan assist? Is this the answer to > my prayers for increase air flow to the heater boxes?

Exactly such that it is, you might indeed use it sort of roll your own recirculation system using it as the blower like those commercially available upright engine kits but using only the one blower with its two outputs and putting a hose from its input to the interior.

> 6) Whether the steering boxes are the same. How 'bout brake parts (master > cylinder, booster, etc.)

Steering boxes changed, I don't know if your disk brake '71 uses the same as later disk brake cars or if it changed when front rotors and calipers changed, you might strip the whole front system and axle beam though as a unit surely you could retrofit.

> 7) Whether any other engine parts such as the distributor can be used.

Sounds to be a f.i. engine with the heater blower so probably a 2.0 you might snag the engine as the core could be worth a few hundred especially if hydraulic lifter. The injection parts of course might be worth something to somebody on this list.

> 8) Any other items I should pull. The landlord is eventually going to have > it towed away and I don't want to beat myself for failing to get that > critical part when I had a chance to do it for free.

Pull any glass es[ecially windhsield if in good condition and you think you might ever need, pull any interior trim or seats if in better condition than yours, a clock if it has one is getting harder to find, and of course engine/f.i. parts if you got room.