Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Apr 1995 06:45:42 +0000
From:         "Harry Yates" <hyates@bcit.bc.ca>
Subject:      Vanagon + Platinum = VROOM!

Hi Everyone. I have been running my '90 Vanagon with Bosch Platinums (WR7CP) for the last couple weeks, and I would like to report my findings to the list.

Some of you may recall that I was asking about ignition wires a few weeks ago, and I had extremely low readings (3500 ohms). David Kao, and others suggested my multimeter might be toast... and it was. I used a digital meter, and all wires are within VW specs. Knowing the wires were OK, I then put in the platinums.

My van just eats through the Bosch Supers (W7CC0), and after 15000 km the gap would be 10 thou over. Basically I couldn't keep plugs in this thing, and that's why I started looking at the platinums.

Bosch claims a 2 to 3 times longer life than regular plugs, and surer starts, etc. Well, I can confirm that my van just loves these things. It was apparent right away from a cold startup. Hot starts are better as well. I just did a long/hilly trip of 550 km, and this van really performed well. Needless to say, I'm keeping the platinums installed.

A point of interest... the platinums are resistor type plugs. The wires in the van are also resistor type (resistor ends). I was never able to determine what difference that would make, but everything seems to be running VERY smooth.

I purchased this set from Canadian Tire for approx. $15 with taxes.. a reasonable $$ value IMHO. I'm so pleased with the results, I'm going to put in a set in my mother-in-law's Golf.

Harry Yates Internet: hyates@BCIT.BC.CA Burnaby, BC '90 Syncro Westfalia '87 Golf Diesel