Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Apr 95 21:16:32 EST
From:         cs@sypro.com (Cetin Seren)
Subject:      DIESEL VANAGON QUESTIONS

> > Recognising that those early 80s Vanagon Westfalia's have been politely > described as underpowered, I'm curious to know just how woeful the little > Rabbit engine is pushing all that weight: It is not like anything else. My '82 diesel Westy took a while to get used to, it was especially hard to drive it in NJ where everyone thinks they are either Fittipaldi or Al Unser Jr. ....

I must say that it was our primary transportation for almost 6 years (between late 87 and 93) and it did very well -- we had it maintained regulary. major problems in those years: front brake rotors at 70,000 miles and clutch at 108,000 miles (plus crankshaft seals). it is our tertiary transportaion now, we kind of share it with our friends for camping trips. > > 1) How long does the engine last, or better phrased, how much shorter is > the life expectancy than in a Rabbit? Don't know... at 108,000 miles, the engine is still as strong (???@!@?!@) as it has ever been, no oil burning or loss...

Cetin cs@sypro.com