Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Apr 95 17:35:54 -0500
From:         "Herb Harmison" <herb@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Subject:      90 Vanagon Carb Icing

"Carb Icing" on a 90 Vanagon

Joel requested that I explain the problem. At about 30K miles while driving on the interstate the van began to miss and continued to lose power until it was not able to make over 25-30mph. The weather was cool, 30F and it was raining.

About the only thing I could figure was that there was something like carb icing going on in an injected engine. I pulled off and waited about 3 minutes and started up and the engine ran fine for about 40 miles and then the same problem. Stop and wait and then OK again!

Having driven old vans with carbs and had icing as well as old cars with the same problem, I was really stumped. (I assume you folks in California understand carb icing.)

A week later on my 215 mile run home with about the same weather conditions, the same thing happened.

Checked with the local dealer without success.

Having made the acquaintance of the regional service rep at the local car show, I called him and he told me they knew about the problem and had worked over a year to find the solution and that it nearly drove them crazy. Turned out it has something to do with the engine wiring. There was a small change in the resistance of a circuit with certain ambient weather conditions and that screwed up the engine.

My son, a Ford engineer, suggests they used cheap contact materials somewhere that corroded and got wet.

Anyway, VW was happy to replace the entire harness at no charge. They did it under the pollution law that requires good exhaust up to 50k. The car has run beautifully since.

Herb

Herb Harmison Director IT Placement 50 Lind Hall 207 Church St. SE Minneapolis, MN 55455 612-625-8869 Phone 612-626-0261 Fax